DF 250 starting problems

Hey all. We have twin 250's.

In August we blew the heads on the stbd engine, via saltwater intrusion. Engines are '06. The two heads on the stbd were replaced by a suzuki dealer.

Now when turn the key it cranks...not starting. If I start the port engine first, then start the stbd, it will crank for five seconds or so, then start like an old station wagon. With the exception of the first 400 hours or so the engines always need to be warmed up now. To start them, I need to push the detent switch on the throttles and set the rpms around 1500 to get the stbd to start and run without dying. Once running they generally work fine. Though at times another issue is one or both will just die when going forward to reverse.

Never have any issues like this with Yamaha's. They crank hard, fast and start in 2 seconds or less. These Suzuki's are a PITA.

The outboard service guy can't figure out what's going on and says all computer codes are within factory specs.

Suggestions.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: DF 250 starting problems

since these are efi engines, I wouldn't think you need to bump up the throttle on initial start.
efi's generally spray fuel when the key is initially turned on and regulate the fuel based on the throttle position sensor.

do you have fresh fuel? you may want to try using an auxiliary tank.

Something seems out of whack. I would get them checked out by a better tech since they should be under warranty.

Contract company. Commercial engines, only had one year on warranty.

I was told once it could be a computer wire (green) that runs the starting circuit to maintain the voltage for fire-up. These guys at this place in my mind are incompetent. Their nice but that doesn't fix our engine problem.

Thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral

Just because ther are no diagnostic codes, does not indicate there is no problem with the engine. If the engine never run and started good. I would have the man that put the heads on repair it. The first thing is the computer recalls, does it have the correct computer. You check by pn on computer and serial number of engine. One change was for idle and hard starting.

Check fuel pressure
valve adjustment
idle control valve
replace sparkplugs with correct plugs
there are 2 screws on top of engine with yellow paint on screw head, looks just like an idle screw. You cannot adjust these screw, factory adjustment only.
I don`t know how the engines are rigged, but I would not have any electrical connections between the engines, except a ground wire between the starting batteries Each engine have its on system. Just my way of doing it. I`m at peakread@yahoo,com, may be 2 months before I check back