determining trailer hitch height

knowlimits

Recruit
I understand how to determine the hitch rise or drop to match the trailer tongue to the truck hitch receiver. But if I level my trailer tongue the main frame of the trailer (where it y's out over each axle) is not level. Just wondering if I use only the tongue on boat trailer being level to determine the height. The tongue is not bent

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

The A frames are usually on the same Plane as the Tongue

SX195#9.JPG

Put a bubble stick on one of the Trailer frames and see if it level, of course the Trailer and Tow Vehicle have to be on Level Ground. You can't just level the Trailer, measure the Coupler Height, and then measure the Hitch Height, as the Hitch will drop as the Trailer is placed on it. This is very important on Trailers that have more than one Axle, and extremely Important if they are Torsion Axles, there the Trailer MUST be level, within a couple of Degrees when hitched to the Tow Vehicle

knowlimits

Recruit
Thanks for the quick response. The tongue is connected to the a frame as a tilt which I have never unbolted or used. If I level the tongue and the a frame is slightly off level. Should I just use the main a frame for my height determination?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Does the Trailer have Brakes?
Does the Trailer have more than one Axle?
If the Answer is no, to those questions. then an inch, inch and a half off level isn't critical
If the Trailer is a Single Axle with brakes, then the Tongue should be level
If the Trailer has 2 or more Axles, then then the Frame has to be level
If it has both Brakes and 2 or more Axles, I would still say the Frame, as the Weight distribution between the Axles has to be correct. But if that results in a Trailer looking like a 747 on Take Off, or a Plow to be placed in the Soil, then some Modification's to the Trailer need to be done

ahicks

Captain
Thanks for the quick response. The tongue is connected to the a frame as a tilt which I have never unbolted or used. If I level the tongue and the a frame is slightly off level. Should I just use the main a frame for my height determination?
Usually, the tongue and frame are both level. They may not be in the same plane, but they are level. If yours is not, my first thought is about wondering why? Is something bent, or rusted to the point it's starting to let go?

Once assured everything is intact, and the situation remains, I don't think it really makes a lot of difference which is level on a single axle trailer. Your call. On a tandem, you'd want the frame level to assure front and rear axle geometry is going to work properly.

knowlimits

Recruit
Thanks for the great info, here is a little more description of what I have:
The trailer is single axle, no brakes, 1999 but in excellent condition. The tongue and A-frame are not exactly on the same plane, but very close. I have a deep v 20ft aluminum boat that I haul from Michigan down to the gulf area and want to ensure the best trailering with my ford f150.

Attachments

• BA358B4B-2F46-4CF7-998B-D834F5D4F490.jpeg
    BA358B4B-2F46-4CF7-998B-D834F5D4F490.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 21

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
On a single axle trailer without brakes, it probably doesn't matter much, but I'd prefer the main frame be level, rather than the tongue. If nothing else, I'd want the extra ground clearance you'd get by leveling the frame.

airshot

Rear Admiral
From that pic, it almost looks like the tongue might be bent, if you have a better pic from the side, it might help.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I understand how to determine the hitch rise or drop to match the trailer tongue to the truck hitch receiver. But if I level my trailer tongue the main frame of the trailer (where it y's out over each axle) is not level. Just wondering if I use only the tongue on boat trailer being level to determine the height. The tongue is not bent
My view as a pure novice, is that level priority should be given to the tongue. When going over pot holes or bumps in the road, or angled driveways, a level tongue would give the most lee way for the hinging action on the trailer ball in either the up or down directions.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My guess is the ball is about 4" low

I need a straight (no drop) draw bar on my F150 to met the recommend 18" to 21" center line of ball specified by trailer mfg.

harringtondav

Commander
On a single axle trailer without brakes, it probably doesn't matter much, but I'd prefer the main frame be level, rather than the tongue. If nothing else, I'd want the extra ground clearance you'd get by leveling the frame.
Same here. With my last two boat/trailers I level the trailer frame. ...then I fuss with the bunks as much as possible to get the boat as low and level as possible on the trailer.

knowlimits

Recruit
Thanks for all the good suggestions. Im gonna split the difference of level on the tongue and a-frame which results in a 2 inch drop. 4 inches higher than the setup I have now, plus I have a newer F150 than the one shown. Also I am getting a extra long hitch (12-5/8 inches) to gain sharper turning radius.

harringtondav

Commander
Also I am getting a extra long hitch (12-5/8 inches) to gain sharper turning radius.
Keep in mind this will increase the 'effective' tongue weight on your receiver. It looks like you have plenty of truck for that boat, but it may make the receiver squat a bit more.