Describe the worst/funniest repair you have seen!

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Describe the worst/funniest repair you have found or seen on a boat. Plus, if you were the one who did it…. Share your reasoning.<br /><br />I bought a bass-boat on Ebay last year (P.T. Barnum was right), and there was a repair on the hull near the rear between the trailer runners about the size of a dinner plate. It was bare resin, and I could see the fiberglass mat underneath. I had to do a small repair on a crack that leaked near the chime, so I thought I would dress up that area before I spotted in the gelcoat.<br /><br />I started sanding, and I hit a gummy substance, and then the resin started flaking off. The gummy stuff was a coating of silicone over a small resin repair about ¼” x 2”. This fool thought his repair was leaking, so he covered it with silicone, and then resin over the silicone! The leak was up from that repair about 8” in the small crack. If the “repairman would have checked the hull for leaks by running water into it he would have found the crack in the hull.

salty87

Commander
Re: Describe the worst/funniest repair you have seen!

bought my boat from a guy who was keeping it on a lift, no trailer. it was (is) my first boat purchase and i didn't really do that good of an inspection in hindsight but i did get lucky with the boat.<br /><br />i left it in the water for a few weeks while i got a trailer for it. when i finally got to take it out water and inspect the hull.......some rocket scientist used 4" long screws to hold the engine in its mounts (inboard) and they were sticking out the bottom of the hull about an inch. no leaking, but of course they lined up perfectly with my new bunk and shredded the carpet. <br /><br />had a hell of a time getting it on the trailer for the first time with those sticking out.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I've got two, one is mine the other is my uncle's<br /><br />A long time ago my uncle had an old trihull with a 70hp Evenrude. When the floor needed to be replaced he found a great "deal" and payed some crackpot to do it for 100bucks.<br />The guy was not much of a woodworker, he used screws that where too long and when right threw the hull by about 2inchs :eek: Not only did he do this with the first screw, he did the whole job before he realized it :rolleyes: . To make even sader, the friggen boat was on the trailer at the time!!!!. . . . . .yup, my uncle got a great deal :D <br /><br />Okay,<br />This spring me and a few other guys from a classic boston whaler site that I post on get together and headed out in boston harbor. Their where three of us together, a 17'Outrage a 13-Newport and me in my 11-sport. I was catching alot of air jumping wake of the Outrage. I smached the boat down so hard that I broke th piviot bracked in half. This left me with no steering, The guys in the othe boats and I took a pattle and tied if to the side of the powerhead. From their I could drive the boat home useing the pattle is a tiller......see this link for a picture of it: http://www.whalerforum.com/?p=bragboard&ID=144

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a county in my area that has more than its share of rednecks that are famous for inventing their own method of repairs, Bullitt County, Kentucky. Around here any time you see a bolt that takes 3 lug nuts, and 7 washers to take up the slack is is called a "Bullitt County Bolt". You will usually find them holding two pieces of sheet metal together. You should see some of the stuff that comes from that area :)

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

my buddy Jim and I came up with the term "Suitable Device" which is more often than not, a screwdriver ...<br /><br />oil filter stuck? ram a screwdriver through it, and turn it with some leverage<br /><br />bad guys bust yer trunk lock? Screwdriver will reach down to turn the lock mechanism<br /><br />Need a:<br /><br />Pry Bar? Chisel? Punch?<br /><br />Screwdriver!<br /><br />the Quintessential Suitable Device!<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The worst repairs I have ever seen were on my Chevy Nova I had in Thailand.<br /><br />Click on my home page to see the hack jobs.<br /><br />www.geocities.com/kenimpzoom<br /><br />Ken

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Do a search on "Shade Tree Special" or "Shady Lady" :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

my buddy bought a 195? fiberglass-over-wood closed-bow with a 1973 Chrysler hemi automotive engine inboard with a v-drive. That boat had one bench seat and the engine took up all the available space tween the seat and the stern. the throttle was connected to an accelerator pedal on the floor just like a car, but the cable was all rusted out, so we duck-taped a broom handle to the carburator for a throttle.<br /><br />Man it was loud, and the chicks really dug it. Not as fast as you would think, but it had butt-loads of torque - we never got more than 7 or 8 skiers out of the water at a time, mostly because one or two kept falling.<br /><br />I wish that boat hadn't been stolen.<br />those were the days