Depth Sounder Question

NYMINUTE

Captain
My depth sounder seemed to stick on the last readable depth for a bit longer than I am used to. At speeds of 40 MPH + it would blink the last read until I backed off the throttle, then it would regain its usual reliability. Is there a problem with my transducer, or could it be the water clarity. It was dusk, and water was darker than usual, not to mention hot outside. Anyone here an authority of sorts on this? The sounder is a Lowrance, I do not know the transducer manufacturer. It was standard equipment on my Rinker new in 01. Thanks.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Depth Sounder Question

Sounds like you are getting turbulence under the transducer and it is unable to obtain a valid reading so it just displays the last "good" reading. When you back off the throttle it probably puts the transducer back into "clean" water so it is able to read again. Is this a new problem ? Same water way ? Anything else changed ?

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is exactly what is happening, as RodC said at speed it is losing it's lock on the bottom, & flashing last good reading. I've had 2 lowrance machines, & both did the same thing. Joe

NYMINUTE

Captain

Same waterway, different time of day, usually afternoons and late AM, this time it was later, a bit darker than usual.