Depth Guage

Cuddy

Cadet
I have a new boat and think a depth guage (dash mount) would be nifty. Anyone have any experience with any certain models? Are the $100 Humminbirds any good? Is transom or through hull mount better? Could a bumbling accountant install one? Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Depth Guage

Howdy, Cuddy. Yes, yes, transom, yes.
smile.gif
<br /><br />The Hummer is good, but I like the Eagle FishEasy better. About the same price.<br /><br />Transom mount can be moved, removed and replaced without being destroyed. Thru-hull is there forever.<br /><br />Even an Accountant can install these things, though it helps to have a precocious 12-year-old supervise.
smile.gif
<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Depth Guage

JB, it sounds like you've been down this road
smile.gif
Grandbuddy helps,don't he?? LOL<br /><br />I haven't got much good to say about the Humminbirds. I have 2,one in the 12Footer, and one in the Bliner. The Bliner has a depth-only model (Humminbird 600 in0dash model), the 12 has the Humminbird wide100.<br />The depth-only model works fairly well, but hull bubbles interfere at a mere 20MPH,rendering it useless. The wide100 model will not track suspended echoes (fish and structure over trolling speeds, and loses depth info at 10MPH. I must add here, that most depth and fishfinders do this, but never this dramaticly....When I lose sig,I lose sig.<br />I tried all possable mounting positions for both before committing to a permanent point.<br />I have inquired into this problem at BFHP, and it was unamimous, I messed-up buying a hummer.<br />The Garmins are reported to be the best for buk on that site.<br />And the transom mount is the way to go.