Depth Finders?

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all, I'm looking for some help. My boat needs a new depth finder. The Hawkeye bit the dust due to previous owner leaving it out in the rain and such. It looks like I can buy a new gauge for like $79, but I got to poking around and it doesn't seem like it's much more to get like a fish finder depth gauge with the potential to do some mapping?

I'm looking for some recommendations. I don't care about the fish finder aspect. The depth and maps are much more important to me. I've used some units in the past that have like topographical maps built in which was cool. I think I have it narrowed down to the Garmin Striker Plus 4, but I don't think that one has like full maps built in. More of a map as you go type of deal. Compared to a Lowrance that I saw that had the maps in already.

Thoughts?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I think I have it narrowed down to the Garmin Striker Plus 4, but I don't think that one has like full maps built in. More of a map as you go type of deal. Compared to a Lowrance that I saw that had the maps in already.

Thoughts?
Striker Plus 4 is a fish finder. It does not have chart plotter functionality, per say.
Will need to jump up to the EchoMap series for full featured mapping

When comparison shopping, be careful what maps are included.
They varying from full featured marine maps to just basic contour maps.

matt167

Rear Admiral
I have a Stryker 4 GPS which is the older model. You can find people who have written contour maps but nothing official as far as I know. It’s good for what it is, but not if you need maps

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I have this. It has map, route, nav, waypoint, go to , depth shading, gps, depth, speed, compass, etc.
I'm using it on the chesapeake and just got back from Lake Raystown, Pa.
I don't fish.
It's exactly what I need and really like it. I think it's one of the cheaper ones with Maps. I did have to buy a particular sim card .

Attachments

• IMG_3633.jpeg
    IMG_3633.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3632.jpeg
    IMG_3632.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Your title says “Depth Finder” but it sounds like you are looking for a
Depth Finder/GPS/Map. Might help if you gave us a little more info. What exactly will you use it for - Fishing? Navigating? Or ? Where do you use it ocean, bays, rivers, lakes? Why are the depths and maps primary importance?

mike_i

Ensign
What dingbat said "be careful what maps are included"
Don't forget this. I bought my Furno I was amazed as I was able to see the entire world map. Then I realized I had to buy a sd card that had the detailed information of my local area.

MCNPathfinder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the replies! I certainly left out some information. In looking at other devices, I see that I might need to think more practically. My boat is a 26 foot I/O tritoon. It lives on the trailer primarily (except for likely one week a year). We mostly cruise local lakes which we've been to many times. This boat will likely never see the ocean. The most it might see is some light cruising on the river. Maybe these fish finders with depth mapping ARE what I should really be looking into.

I mainly just want to make sure I don't damage my outdrive. In all actuality I probably won't pay that much attention to it unless it depth alarms me or I'm going into unfamiliar territory on the lakes I frequent.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the replies! I certainly left out some information. In looking at other devices, I see that I might need to think more practically. My boat is a 26 foot I/O tritoon. It lives on the trailer primarily (except for likely one week a year). We mostly cruise local lakes which we've been to many times. This boat will likely never see the ocean. The most it might see is some light cruising on the river. Maybe these fish finders with depth mapping ARE what I should really be looking into.

I mainly just want to make sure I don't damage my outdrive. In all actuality I probably won't pay that much attention to it unless it depth alarms me or I'm going into unfamiliar territory on the lakes I frequent.
It sounds like what you need is a basic marine gps with depth finder. You can find units with both built in maps and downloadable maps of just about every lake, river, bay and pond in the US. You really need both the gps function and the depth finder function. The depth finder will alert you to shallows and the gps will keep you away from them to begin with. Once you learn how to use the gps and map function you’ll never go boating without it. It has literally saved my life, gotten me home in dark and fog and allowed me to avoid water hazards and obstructions that would sink or damage my boat. I’ve had both Garmin and Lowrance units. Both have been great units and serviced me well. Check out Garmin. Garmin has the most units and variety of functions and price points to choose from. One piece of advice is which ever you choose get one with the biggest screen you can afford. The bigger the screen just makes a huge difference.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In all actuality I probably won't pay that much attention to it unless it depth alarms me or I'm going into unfamiliar territory on the lakes I frequent.
And herein lies the problem…,,the transducer is mounted the the transom. The bow can be in a rock pile before the depth reach’s alarm stage at the transom.

With my offset is set at 14”, my depth alarm is set at 36” as a “no go” condition. Only run at idle anywhere it’s charted less than 6’ unless I know the area like the back of my hand

cyclops222

Ensign
Any unit you buy should have adjustable depth alarm.
Adjustabile Low Battery Voltage alarm.
And hopefully a built in Alarm Clock.........It is used to prevent bare skin sun burn.

Black58

Seaman Apprentice
I have to agree with Sprig. I've had several larger screens and will never go smaller again. I installed a Lowrance 10 inch in this boat a couple weeks ago. It's still in the barn being restored but closer to going out.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Hummingbird Helix 5 G3 Chirp GPS which I love. However the low level alarm isn't loud enough for me, especially if I'm playing music. I'm sure they still sell the depth alarms seperately, I had one on my old boat, it was load enough for me.