Deoxidation Methods?

Egret189

Cadet
Hey, all. I am a newbie "deoxidizer" and had some Qs. Although our Nautique now looks MUCH better after a good run-over with a buffer and some Megiar's "Boat Deoxidation" formula, there are swirl marks and some un-even areas from the buffer... I am sure it takes lots of practice to master this skill, but was wondering if any experienced boat detailers out there know how to avoid this result? I would like to add this skill to my bussiness, but need to "polish up" on how to do it properly.
Thanks, Jake.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Deoxidation Methods?

Welcome to boats Dry Dock.

#1. What is your "business"?
#2. Lots of ways to battle swirl marks....I might as well be the first to say...post a picture of the marks so we can see how bad they are.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deoxidation Methods?

Good results are a combination of the right buffer, the right buffing pad, the correct RPM, using the right compound (or 2, maybe 3) and then technique.

The buffer needs to be a variable speed model and run at speeds of about 2,500 and less.

A good wool buffing pad, there are cutting styles and polishing types, you may need one or more of each. Some people use the foam pads, they work, but most detailers like wool better.

Compounds come in various grits just like sand paper, coarse for cutting, finer for polishing. You may need to start coarse and finish with fine.

You don't want to push hard, this generates heat which can deform the surface and make for a poor profile. Let the compound do the cutting. When you switch to a finer compound use a different pad or clean the first one very well, the washing machine works well for this. Keep the pad flat on the surface when possible.

As you finish up with the fine compound use very little pressure and keep the pad flat to the surface at all times if you can.

You may need all of these steps or just some of them, it depends on the exact gel coat and how bad of shape it's in when you start.

On a very bad surface you may need to do some sanding, but you didn?t ask about that.

Farecla makes very good buffing compounds and so does 3M.