Dents in hull, seam leaks

"B"

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 Spectrum 1700 with an 85hp Force. There are a few dents in the hull near the bow/keel seam. It has a full deck/floor with live wells in the bow area. Can I access the hull through the live wells without having to tear out the carpet and floor? The carpet and floor are in excellent condition and I'd really hate to have to destroy it. Or is it possible to just seal the seam and use a bodymans suction cup to pull out the dents, they are not creased just pushed in.
So far this is the only thing I have found to be slightly problematic. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!!!!!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Dents in hull, seam leaks

Yes, it's a Blue Fin/Tracker/Spectrum many different corporate owners.

Unless someone has redone the decking you should be able to remove it without messing up the carpet. The deck panels should be screwed through the carpet into the framing beneath... it's the OEM method these days. They do this so you can make below deck repairs without messing up your deck finish.

Dig around through the carpet knap and see if you can find the screws. Back them out and your panels will lift out.

Your dents can probably be removed with a suction cup, but your leaky seam(s) will be best repaired from inside of the boat with Gluvit or Coat-it epoxy hull sealer.

If you can take your boat apart without messing up your carpet it's a good thing to do. you'll learn how your boat is put together and will be familiar with what to do in the future should any problems arise.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Dents in hull, seam leaks

99% of those dents are permanent. Aluminum stretches when dented and is near impossible to "shrink" back and obtain the as new look. If you attempt to repair the dents....... they could look worse and weaken the aluminum.

I highly doubt you will be able to pull them out and have them stay.

If they are small dents...... you could fill them with JB weld or PC-11 epoxy once you have sanded to bare aluminum but then you will have to re-paint!

If they are large dents or what appears to be a collapsed in area for a foot or so.....that is from the hull pounding the waves and they are there for good.

Sorry but..... your boat is designed for play and fishing (just like my aluminum boat) and they do not hold beauty contests in that category anyway. ;)