Delco est woes.

Beatman19801

Cadet
Need a little advice on delco est as there doesn’t seem to be too much info online. Delco est on mercruiser 5.7. From my understanding it is supposed to be running at 21deg at 600 rpm. When I install the shunt to set initial timing at 12 deg the timing doesn’t lock and when timing set and shunt removed it doesn’t jump back to to said 21deg (stays where I set it at 12 deg witn the shunt). With the engine running and the shunt connected to 12v the module doesn’t seem to want to lock into service mode. I have tried a new gm module with the same results. Am I missing something? Thanks 8E6D639D-28D1-42D6-AD70-FF564EC790AB.png

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Is this a genuine setup or aftermarket? If genuine, give us an engine serial number and we can give you the full info.

alldodge

Staff member
Your in the Merc section, talking about a Merc 5.7 but show page out of VP

Beatman19801

Cadet
Is this a genuine setup or aftermarket? If genuine, give us an engine serial number and we can give you the full info.
Repower engines that came with these as new. Merc 5.7 blocks mated to vp 190 legs. I don’t know much more. Bought the boat with these engines and it’s never quite run properly. Tanks for the reply.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Repower 5.7 merc blocks mated to vp 290 drives.
long block is just a GM 350, merc, volvo, crusader, indmar, etc all has to do with proprietary external components attached to the long block assy e.g. the fuel injection system which in your case (i'm guessing) is volvo

that said, have you tried throttling up the rpm with the timing tool attached? often the motor should run between 1000-1500 rpm to smooth out ecm timing variations and allow for "base timing". 12 degrees btdc seems high for base timing

alldodge

Staff member
ok Merc reman and want to time it as a VP.

I have the same VP doc and also don't know of a EST module which will provide 20* of advance, most are in the 10* to 12*

To time the EST it gets 12V connected which puts it in base timing mode. The 12V shall not be connected to it with the motor OFF because it can damage the module. If the module does not go into base mode then its probably bad

This is a Meerc 3.0 procedure which can be used as how to
EST Timing.jpg
This is a TB-IV conversion to EST, and note the 10* to 12* advance
TB4 to Delco EST Timing.jpg

Beatman19801

Cadet
T
long block is just a GM 350, merc, volvo, crusader, indmar, etc all has to do with proprietary external components attached to the long block assy e.g. the fuel injection system which in your case (i'm guessing) is volvo

that said, have you tried throttling up the rpm with the timing tool attached? often the motor should run between 1000-1500 rpm to smooth out ecm timing variations and allow for "base timing". 12 degrees btdc seems high for base timing
tha Is for the reply. Haven’t tried that, however vaguely remember reading it somewhere. So, try to throttle up until it enters service mode then drop back to idle to set timing, or can this be set at the elevated rpm? That’s is for all the help.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
T

tha Is for the reply. Haven’t tried that, however vaguely remember reading it somewhere. So, try to throttle up until it enters service mode then drop back to idle to set timing, or can this be set at the elevated rpm? That’s is for all the help.
my response would be for an efi setup, looking back the info you posted from volvo indicates a carbureted model?

if so, the shunt used requires 12 (+) volts applied to it for service mode

Beatman19801

Cadet
my response would be for an efi setup, looking back the info you posted from volvo indicates a carbureted model?

if so, the shunt used requires 12 (+) volts applied to it for service mode
Thanks for your reply. Yea, carbed. Connected 12v. No change. Still won’t go into service mode. Scratching my head with this one.