Deformed aluminum hull

Mike1187

Cadet
I've been reading this forum for a while now, but finally have a good question for the more experienced people here.

I have a 1984 sylvan 16' open bow aluminum boat with 50 HP outboard, and 9.9HP outboard for trolling, I have a few issues that need corrected, and I plan to start working on them as I have time. First on the list is a new transom, probably a new floor, and consoles, and more storage this winter(if I have time lol)

The first major question I have here, is what is the likelihood that I have any serious structural damage to the hull? I ask, because I was out on lake Erie last season when it started to get a bit rougher than I like, and by the time I has halfway in I was running through 6-7 footers(4 is more than I like, but the boat handles them OK most of the time) I had someone in a much larger boat run by in front of me and their wake on top of the wave was a bit more than my boat could handle comfortably, and it came off the wave pretty hard. When the boat "hit bottom" and plowed into the next wave(still not enough to get any water over the bow yet though) the center movable portion of my 3 piece windshield dropped through between the two outer pieces. Obviously it flexed the hull enough to allow it to "open up" and let the windshield drop, but I'm concerned that it may have yielded some of the metal as it did not return back to its original width. the windshield now has approximately 1/2" wider gap than it did before. after I got the boat back on the trailer I looked it over, and aside from the windshield, there is no visible damage. no broken rivets, not even cracked paint, no leaks.... I just want to make sure that I don't need to really tear everything apart to inspect the entire structure of the boat since everything visible still looks good.

This has been a great little boat for me(a bit small, but still does what I need) and I want to make sure it stays looking good, and safe to use for a long time.

Thanks in advance for any input.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deformed aluminum hull

structurly speaking....somthing bent.....im not a tinny guy, but if the gap is still there....somthings outta whack

when you get under the deck this winter you can inspect better....

but if theres no noticible stress on the outer rivets...and no water intrusion....no big deal...!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and by the way.....

welcome to i boats....boat university as its becoming known as.

cheers
oops

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when working on it you need to get it lined up again. may just the a simple problem.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

The Odds are, the Supporting Structure,+ Not the Hull were compromised,....

It'll probably be a matter of drawing it Back into shape,+ reattaching the side consoles properly.....

Mike1187

Cadet

well I feel a bit better about it with some other opinions stating that it shouldnt be a major immediate safety concern, but does need repair. I'll definately take a closer look when I have everything torn apart. Does anyone know if there is anywhere with origional factory dimensions so I can make sure I get it back exactly where it should be?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I doubt you could find the original dimension for the width along the whole length, which is what you would need. Just make the windshield line up again and you'll be fine. Aluminum boats get dented, bent and tweaked all the time, it's not good, but they live.