Defacing the American Flag (rant)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Defacing the American Flag (rant)

while I dont like flag burning and such, I did sign a small piece of paper, three times if memory serves, that says I would give my life to protect someones right to a different opinion even if it means hanging jesus upside down in urine or burning the american flag. I dont have to like it I just have to uphold the laws that allow it.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Coming from a country that doesnt go in for flag worship the way Americans do, do you think we are any less patriotic because our habits are different?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I don't think that, but to be honest with you Grant, it is not in the nature of most Americans to have an opinion about that one way or the other, or even to realize that there are other countries that have flags; in fact I bet lots of Americans would be surprised to learn that "patriotic" means "devoted to one's own country" rather than "devoted to America." Sometimes it seems like patriotism is a competitive event. "I've got a flag attached to my car. You must not be very patriotic because I don't see a flag on your car." Right up there beside the Jack-in-the-box radio aerial ornament. Never mind that it's so ripped to shreds you can't hardly recognize it.<br /><br />Here's a personal invitation for you to take this opportunity to tell us about patriotism in New Zealand.<br /><br />[okay, that sounded kind of sarcastic, but really, it's not. really.]

gaugeguy

Captain

JT, I think Patton's quote was "Lt, go remove that flag and wipe your arse with it" :eek:

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've only got back to this now as I wasnt able to access iboats for some time.<br /><br />In my view, patriotism in this country tends to be much less overt than that which I have seen from the USA. <br /> We know who we are, it is a small country so there is a unity that doesnt need to be fostered to the same extent perhaps. <br /> We all feel good when our sportspeople or teams do well, so are no different from any other country in that respect.<br /><br />There doesnt seem to be a need to display symbols of our patriotism for others to see, we all know it is there.<br /><br />Who was it that said 'Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel'?<br /><br />To us, the flag waving, banner bearing type of patriotism is too open to political manipulation without individual thought. Have you ever seen pictures of the rallies that Hitler organised on his way up? Lots of flags and people feeling that they belonged without thinking what it really was they belonged to. Dangerous stuff.<br /><br />Different strokes for different folks I guess.<br /><br />Gaugeguy, what was the context of that quote?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Grant S:<br /> In my view, patriotism in this country tends to be much less overt than that which I have seen from the USA. <br /> We know who we are, it is a small country so there is a unity that doesnt need to be fostered to the same extent perhaps. <br /> We all feel good when our sportspeople or teams do well, so are no different from any other country in that respect.<br /><br />There doesnt seem to be a need to display symbols of our patriotism for others to see, we all know it is there.<br /><br />
The same here.<br /><br />We're no less patriotic, in the proper sense of being devoted to our country, than Americans or anyone else. We just don't go for overt displays.<br /><br />A fair indication of our attachment to flag displays is that I see more US Confederate flags on bikes and cars here than I do Australian ones. <br /><br />Some people make an issue of our flag for political and other purposes, which often refers to our servicepeople fighting under or for our current flag in WWII. The fact is our current flag with the blue background wasn't the national flag until 1953. That one and the one with a red background were both in common use beforehand, although the red one was the more "official" version. I have very faint recollections of waving the red one in one hand and the blue one in the other during the Queen's visit in 1954, as I think both were issued to schools and kindergartes for that purpose.

LadyFish

Admiral

Just because you have the right to do it, dosen't <br />mean its the right thing to do. <br /><br />All I got to say is........<br /><br />
maggiet.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some folks carry their patriotism as though going into battle. . . loud, defiant and aggressive.<br /><br />Others just quietly love and support their country.<br /><br />Most of us are somewhere between.<br /><br />Who are the most patriotic? You don't know until it is time to step up and take on risk or sacrifice on behalf of our country, then you find some of each type of patriot out in front.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Amen JB!!! Just because you 'talk' the loudest doesnot mean you can step up to the plate and deliver.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Something I learned from my father about how you can look at someone and tell how patriotic they are. This pretty much works when the Star Spangled Banner is played. Look for the ones with the goose bumps, that pretty much tells the story. I don't care how many times I have heard it, I still get those goose bumps when I hear it. I think it was my tour of duty with the Navy is what started it for me.<br /><br />I might be a redneck, but that gives no right to disgrace the flag.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Amen, Mayfloat. :) <br /><br />It started with me during WWII.<br /><br />Our National Anthem still brings tears to my eyes.

D

DJ

JB, Mayfloat,<br /><br />I agree. I watch people when the National Anthem is played.<br /><br />It is disgusting how so many ignore it.<br /><br />Rodbolt wrote,<br /><br />
would give my life to protect someones right to a different opinion even if it means hanging jesus upside down in urine or burning the american flag. I dont have to like it I just have to uphold the laws that allow it.
Defending it even though not agreeing with it is honorable. Having to pay for it (National Endowment For The Arts) is another story.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DJ<br /> when ya sign your name 3 times and swear in twice its not an option. you give up several constitutional rights. about the only right you have left is to uphold the constitution as long as its while following orders. ya dont have to like the orders and ya dont have to like the officers but you do have to follow the chain of command. there are channels to address wrongs but usually its to much bother. I was lucky and served under some of the best the navy had to offer. to this day if called to serve under them I would follow them anywhere.<br /> but I am with you. I dont like to pay for what I personnaly consider a disgrace. <br /> but until the laws are changed, and I hope they never are, I will fight for the right to do it. I just wont attend nor watch.<br /> thats the beauty about our country. if you have a differing opinion you can express it in a non violent way all you wish. still dont mean I am gonna watch.