Defacing the American Flag (rant)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
American flags and Texas flags are exempt from all the billboard/signage ordinances of most cities around here. So merchants (mostly car dealers) got these huge, I mean humongous flags out on the lot. It's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, a lot of them are replaced regularly, brightly lit at night, a spectacular display that warms the heart and makes you proud to be an American and a Texan.<br /><br />But, some of 'em can't be bothered to replace them when they start getting tattered and dirty, until they look like they've been trampled. It's just downright disrespectful!<br /><br />Then, a few days ago I saw something that just made me mad. A pickup with an American flag draped across the back window. One of those sliding open window. This a-hole had slit the flag up the middle I guess so he could reach through it to get a beer out the back or something. If I'd been armed myself I might've confronted the jerk, but self-preservation instinct held me back.<br /><br />You know who you are - cut that crap out!!

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Defacing the American Flag (rant)

We have companies here that have flags so tattered and torn it is embarrasing to see. They are not expensive to replace. They are probably too busy sending work to Mexico to see this condition. Maybe they laid off the person who had that as a job responsibility. :mad:

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally, I think half the rules for the flag are a bunch of crapola. I enjoy seeing the patriotism being shown...tattered or not.<br /><br />I used to have a 16' X 10' (i think 10') flag that I hung on the side of my barn. I couldn't afford a pole for this monster, but still wanted to show my patriotism, so I had to install eyelets in all corners and in the center top and bottom in order to hang it. Yes, I had to cut it for the eyelets. And I also knew that I wouldn't be able to take it down before each rain, so it stayed up 24/7. <br /><br />And you know what? To me that showed the strengh, the longevity, and unwavering attitude of my country. It stood the test of time, light or dark, rain or shine, good day or bad day just as I think my country has done. It said "respect me for I will not waver or faulter no matter what comes my way".<br /><br />Not trying to get under anyone's skin, just trying to show a different perspective. :)

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Johnson-Liner,<br /><br />Your sentiment is very nice, however your actions are illegal. Treatment of the flag is delineated in federal law, the United States Code. Violating that code shows disrespect for the flag and the country, intentional or not.<br />Here's a link for those of you interested it what the law says:<br /> http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode04/usc_sup_01_4_10_1.html

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would like to add....there is a point when it's time to put one to rest though. That point in my eyes is probably just a little further out than yours is all. :)

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Personally, I think half the rules for the flag are a bunch of crapola. I enjoy seeing the patriotism being shown...tattered or not.<br />
My point being, it's not a matter of opinion. There is a subjective evaluation as to when the flag becomes unfit for display. However, The rule are not just tradition, they are law.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Johnson, I won't dispute your motives or criticize your display. Punching holes for hanging don't bother me. All-night or rainy-day displays don't bother me. You didn't hang it up there to grab attention to get customers into your showroom, right? And you didn't split it in two just for your own convenience, right? The redneck in the pickup is most likely wanting to be patriotic, but it's just downright disrespectful. I mean, if he's exercising his first admendment right to free speech, then I I'll support his right to do it even though I disagree. But it appeared to me to be done out of thoughtlessness and lack of respect.<br /><br />If I saw yours I might've found it offensive, can't say without seeing it. I'm not talking about rules or laws, just respect, which clearly you do have plenty of.<br /><br />Why did you take it down? Just curious. Maybe did it get to looking too bad?

Bondo

Staff member

Well,...... I Guess I'm an Outlaw Too......<br /><br />I've got Flags Everywhere..... And,.. It's Not Just Since 9-11........<br />The U.S. Flag has been My Colors All My Life.......<br /><br />My Boats,.. Truck,.. ATV,.. All sport Flags...<br /><br />My icefishing tip-ups have U.S. Flags, instead of the little orange 1s....<br />As I look around the room, I see 4 flags,.. 1 serves as a curtain,.. 1 blocks the Sun from My 'Puter screen in the mornings,...2 are just passing thru.......<br /><br />You can see 2 Flags in this shot.... 1 beside My Lady,+ 1 just over the left handlebar,.... Ayuh,.. that 1 is the Stars & Stripes too.....<br /><br />
flagicefishing.jpg
<br /><br />Ayuh,.... She caught the Lake Trout that set that Flag off........... 6lbs.+.......

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I get really ticked off when i see people wearing articles of clothing made in representation of the American flag, in my opinion, i find that to be extremely demeaning.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

jtexas....yeah, it did meet it's end due to too ratty of condition. Basically, the eyelets kept ripping out and I'd have to keep fixing it which I didn't mind doing. What made me finally take it down was after a few times when I got home from a 10 hour day and found it hanging by a corner and whipping into the barbed wire fence. In the end, it was just in too rough of shape to hold itself up there. It's been replaced though...with unfortunately a smaller, but much more manageable one.<br /><br />And Bondo....no more pics of that quad please! I sold my yellow Sportsman last fall (like a moron) BEFORE :rolleyes: ice fishing season. Seeing yours reminds me of how much I miss it! :( :D

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

since we are on the flag subject, what are the military rules or etiquette concerning an enemy flag when captured in battle?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Elmer-Fudge,<br />As originally written using the flag as clothing was prohibited. The code was ammended to make it legal.<br /><br />I have no problem displaying the flag as a sign of national pride. I just think that we should do it properly. <br /><br />I will add that if someone is offended by a properly displayed US Flag. Well, are borders are a lot more open than we care to admit, feel free to leave :)

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br /> since we are on the flag subject, what are the military rules or etiquette concerning an enemy flag when captured in battle?
When Patton liberated a concentration camp in Nazi Germany, he ordered one of his Lt's to remove the flag and wipe his rear end with it.<br /><br />Don't think there is any etiquette concerning that, most are kept for souveniers I'm sure.<br /><br />JL, what were you thinking selling your Sportsman? I would never sell mine, unless I was trading it in for a newer one ;)

Stratosfied

Ensign

GG, sounds like Patton!!! :D ;) and if I'd have been the LT, I would have done EXACTLY as he said!

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, Patton was noted for being PC and understated :)

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

<br />...slit the flag up the middle I guess so he could reach through it to get a beer... <br />
Hmmm... :rolleyes: ...with all due respect...sounds like it belongs in one of those REDNECK lists... :D

NathanY

Commander

You think rednecks go aroung cuttin up flags?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> When Patton liberated a concentration camp in Nazi Germany, he ordered one of his Lt's to remove the flag and wipe his rear end with it.<br />
Ordered the Lt to wipe the Lt's arse, or ordered the Lt to wipe Patton's arse?