Deep cycle battery

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Don't ever use a trickle charger on any battery. Buy a Smart Charger, set it for the type battery you have, and it will turn off and cycle as necessary.

A trickle charger will keep trickling until it burns off all your battery fluid.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
NOCO Genius GEN5X3, 3-Bank, 15-Amp (5-Amp Per Bank) Fully-Automatic Smart. Use this in my Regal and the Wellcraft also put one on the motorhome

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Trickle chargers are fine. They charge at 3A or less maximum, and taper off to 1Amp or less, as the battery charges. 1Amp charging will not damage or run a battery dry, especially if it is cold. I would charge it for a day or two every month or two.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Trickle chargers are fine. They charge at 3A or less maximum, and taper off to 1Amp or less, as the battery charges. 1Amp charging will not damage or run a battery dry, especially if it is cold. I would charge it for a day or two every month or two.
Yes, that's the proper way, but some people don't know any better and let it trickle for a long time.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thank you. Any suggestions on what brand?
I have an older Sears brand charger (Craftsman) and a West Marine Smart Charger and both work well. Since I have a bunch of batteries to tend to last year I bought a Schumacher (brand) charger. Awesome performance and the best one I ever had.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, that's the proper way, but some people don't know any better and let it trickle for a long time.
An some people don’t have access to their boat every day. For instance, my boat is 90 miles away at the lake so I needed a smart charger to plug in and be confident that is wouldn’t melt the batteries down if I didn’t see the boat for a week or two.