decrbon, and the force will be with you

basszzilla

Seaman
decarbonizing is magic! I have read countless threads about decarbonizing and didnt really give it much credit. I thought i was going to have to replace carbs, adjust timing, and so on.<br />My force was hard to start, back fired, seem to be loading up and had weak compression. I finally took the advice of the many experts in this forum. All I can say is "WOW" problems solved. I cant thank every one enough for all the "free" advice I have recieved in this forum. A round of "ataboys" to all.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: decrbon, and the force will be with you

I am glad to hear your motor is behaving better.<br />But it must've been badly carboned-up if it did that much with one treatment. You must've had a stuck ring or two. Carbon will do that.<br />Had this motor been sitting-up unused for a long time?

basszzilla

Seaman

at least three years in south texas and two on oklahoma, probably without any storage procedures.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yep..That would stick all the rings, just from varnish in the residual fuel. Decarboning will free them up, as will WD40 in the spark plug holes. Glad to hear it's doing better.<br />I strongly advise you to replace the impeller and fuel pump diaphram too.<br />They will operate fine for about 30minutes, then strand you, just far enough away from the dock to get ya worried.

basszzilla

Seaman

thanks again 12. impeller and housing were part of my preoperation maintinence before running engine for a prolonged period of time. perhaps you could be of help with another thread i have posted "89 force 85hp t&t creeping down ". any ideas? thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, Basszilla. I got one of them myself (T&T unit leaking down). I think it's the o-rings in the ram, but haven't gotten around to checking into it.<br />And I've allways overlooked T&T's as long as they lift and drop.,and can be locked...That's the electrical end of things. But if your unit has fluid, it can't be much other than o-rings leaking. But again, I've never attempted a repair on a ram,and allways backhoe and other hydraulics to a nearby hydraulics shop that treats us right.

Big_Tom1

Cadet

I just bought a 82 ranger with a 82 merc 150. Been sitting for 3 yrs. No storage procedures. What did you use to treat the carbs, and what did you do with it? I started mine this past weekend, it ran, but reel rough.<br />Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Tom 1,<br />If you got it runnin' I'd decarb, change plugs, rebuild water pump and rebuild fuel pump.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Big_Tom1

Cadet

I am pretty new to the outboard world. What should I use to decarb and what is the procedure for doing it?<br /><br />Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Check with your outboard dealer, they all make good decarbonizing stuff. Just follow the directions.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty