Decking choices?

Dave Brick

Seaman
I'm going to be replacing the deck of my '88 Sea Nymph 175 Great Lakes Special over the winter. The plywood's really not in bad shape, except for the raised section up in the bow.

Anyway, I grew up in the carpeting/flooring business. It seems like most boats of this type come with carpeting, which is easy and cheap to replace. I have seen lots of boats with vinyl flooring instead of carpet, and it seems like a good material for keeping neat and clean. I have some concern about the slipperiness, though.

Has anybody else done vinyl flooring, and had good (or bad) results?

Last edited:

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Decking choices?

HOWDY!
Welcome to iboats.
I think instead of using vinyl floor covering, I would use some non-slip additive on the top coat of fiberglass, or whatever you use to to finish the deck with.

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

E,
That looks good. Is it spray in, roll on, or a sheet product?

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, and I didn't mean to hijack this post!

dustedwatts

Seaman

You would never guess what i used on my boat..... it is also non slip finish.... here is a pic
31469_1263711119669_1436463972_30561627_5449016_n.jpg

it is easy on bare feat, but yet has a good non slip grip, and is really easy to clean..... :D

Attachments

• 31469_1263711119669_1436463972_30561627_5449016_n.jpg
    31469_1263711119669_1436463972_30561627_5449016_n.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, how about garage floor paint?

dustedwatts

Seaman

It is a truck bed liner kit,,, i used a Raptor kit made by U-Pol, in the high traffic areas i added silica sand...

http://www.u-pol.com/product-cat/83/raptor™-bed-liner.htm

I used Automotive type paint for the top side also, with some modification to the mix... shhhhhh, and the bottom side, also with some modification to the mix. (gonna get some negative feed on that one, to ease some minds, boat is always trailered, never in overnight, and so far even bumbing up against rocks and stuff, i only have a few scratches)
It all took about 6 months from start to finish(not really i am not done yet, but its usable).

The colour is Crazy Plum Purple (thanks chrysler) wish the pics looked as good as it does in person....

I am working on a photobucket, so soon i will have all of the middle project pics up too.

thanks all,

check out 1976 Tri-Hull Resto
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=395040

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a truck bed liner kit,,, i used a Raptor kit made by U-Pol, in the high traffic areas i added silica sand...

http://www.u-pol.com/product-cat/83/raptor™-bed-liner.htm

I used Automotive type paint for the top side also, with some modification to the mix... shhhhhh, and the bottom side, also with some modification to the mix. (gonna get some negative feed on that one, to ease some minds, boat is always trailered, never in overnight, and so far even bumbing up against rocks and stuff, i only have a few scratches)
It all took about 6 months from start to finish(not really i am not done yet, but its usable).

The colour is Crazy Plum Purple (thanks chrysler) wish the pics looked as good as it does in person....

I am working on a photobucket, so soon i will have all of the middle project pics up too.

thanks all,

check out 1976 Tri-Hull Resto
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=395040

First off, apologies to Dave for hi-jacking his thread. Hopefully he can use some of this information.

I'm considering Durabak, but haven't heard any feed back.

What's wrong with automotive paint? I'm thinking about House of Kolor. If I can't preserve that "Bass Boat Sparkle" I'd like to create new sparkle with some flake.

Dave Brick

Seaman

First off, apologies to Dave for hi-jacking his thread. Hopefully he can use some of this information.

Not a problem...it's just that I have access to cheap/free vinyl flooring from time to time. I'm thinking about a wood-plank look, and I like the idea of a surface that stays easy to clean. Carpet always gets messy with fish guts, musky slime, my kids' spilled Doritos, etc. I think I'm going to try it, and report back in the spring how it works out.

On another note, my experience in this field means I'm familiar with some commercial floors. There are a few (very expensive) vinyl(ish) floors that actually have a higher coefficient of friction when wet. They are used for applications like surgical room floors. Out of my price point for an older boat project like mine!

I guess what it comes down to is, if both were free (vinyl and carpet), what would you put in?

dustedwatts

Seaman

I wasn't aiming that at you.

I am curious about using automotive paint on a boat.

I know, i sorta hi-jacked too,,,

I believe there are other feeds on the automotive paint subject...for top side, it works good, however, I have been told it isn't as durable, and harder to repair.
I used Matrix systems High quality primer, paint, and clear coat. 4 coats each, is almost 20ml thick.... this is first summer so i will see how well it holds up to harsh winter/summer conditions, so far so good looks great,
I mainly used auto paint, cause I have an inexpensive source, the tools, and know how of applying it.
bottom paint is single stage no clear(for ease of ship repair) I have a few so i will know how easy it is to repair this winter.

If your boat is going to spend the night in the water, or in salt water I would HIGHLY advise against auto paint under water line. And i am pretty sure the Pro's will say DO NOT use it at all...

dustedwatts

Seaman

Dave Brick; I guess what it comes down to is said:
you[/I] put in?

I think I would use vinyl at least for the floor, maybe carpet for the sides of boat.... KIDS alone can destroy carpet quickstyle, i know i have 8...

at least with vinyl or carpet you have the choice later to remove and replace. I would have to grind and replace. LOL

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know, i sorta hi-jacked too,,,

I believe there are other feeds on the automotive paint subject...for top side, it works good, however, I have been told it isn't as durable, and harder to repair.
I used Matrix systems High quality primer, paint, and clear coat. 4 coats each, is almost 20ml thick.... this is first summer so i will see how well it holds up to harsh winter/summer conditions, so far so good looks great,
I mainly used auto paint, cause I have an inexpensive source, the tools, and know how of applying it.
bottom paint is single stage no clear(for ease of ship repair) I have a few so i will know how easy it is to repair this winter.

If your boat is going to spend the night in the water, or in salt water I would HIGHLY advise against auto paint under water line. And i am pretty sure the Pro's will say DO NOT use it at all...

Free is good! Worst case is you have to remove it. My opinion is based on a fishing boat. It gets pretty warm here in Texas, So, I don't want to be standing on hot vinyl. I am going to either carpet or use marine pad on my casting deck. I wouldn't have a problem with vinyl on my lower deck.