Deck stain

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Unfortunately it's time to stain the deck again. I did it 2 years ago with Thompson's and am not AT ALL pleased with how it lasted. My deck currently looks like I never did it at all. We are looking for a wood colored stain/sealer. I have heard good thing about the Cabot products at Lowes. What stains do you guy think are the best? I don't want my deck looking this bad again in only 2 years.

SuperNova

Lieutenant
Re: Deck stain

I just did mine with Cabot Clear Cedar, so we'll see. I did it last year with Baer Clear Cedar and have the same results as you. This year it didn't look like I had ever stained it. They told me it's because Baer and Thompsons and some other use a parafin sealer that lays on top of the wood(makes the water bead real nice) instead of soaking into it, and that's why it wears off quickly. The Cabot and Olympia are supposed to absorb into the wood and last longer, but it doesn't bead up like the Baer did. Looks just as good though. Hope it lasts, I hate staining the decks.
--
Stan

catchbats

Seaman

Thopsons is a sealer. If you have a Redwood or Cedar wood you don't want to seal it. Oil based stains are best for these types of wood.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just your typical pressure treated whatever. House is less than 3 years old.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I used Cabot oil semi-transparent on our chicken house and it has held up great.

Dunaruna

Admiral

50/50 mix of turps and boiled linseed oil. Use a roller and give it plenty, the pine will soak it in like a sponge.

The linseed oil will protect and give a slightly darkish stain. The turps will aid in absorption.