Deck repair - first time project

Back2WorkWesty

Recruit
New to the site and new to boating, but I am not new to work and fixing things. Hoping to learn from people a lot smarter at this stuff than I am.

I purchased a 1969 Glastron Gulfstream. The deck has a couple holes in the fiberglass and I can feel the soft wood and see some rotting in about a 2 square foot area in the center (so I am sure it is worse than that). My plan is to cut the affected area to see how bad it is, eventually removing flooring to where I can repair what is necessary and leaving some structure along the edges to attach new wood flooring and then prep to help with holding the new fiberglass over the top. I plan on completely sealing everything on top once complete, but for now I just want to figure out the structure part of this project and getting the deck solid.

I guess my questions are the following:
  1. Would it make more sense to just plan on doing the entire floor, or just repair the affected area?
  2. Is there an ideal wood to use for this type of repair?
Thanks
- Westy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First, welcome aboard

second, read thru the stickies, specifically this one. https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair.40/

and go thru links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety

Third, the floor is always the last thing to rot. the order of rot is the transom, stringers, then the floor.

regarding your questions: you have to pull the whole floor, which is done after removing the motor/drive/interior/etc and building a cradle

the type of wood to use is subjective. most people use Arauco plywood, some use marine ply, some use coosa board

As you dive into your project, we like pics and we will answer questions

Back2WorkWesty

Recruit
First, welcome aboard

second, read thru the stickies, specifically this one. https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair.40/

and go thru links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety

Third, the floor is always the last thing to rot. the order of rot is the transom, stringers, then the floor.

regarding your questions: you have to pull the whole floor, which is done after removing the motor/drive/interior/etc and building a cradle

the type of wood to use is subjective. most people use Arauco plywood, some use marine ply, some use coosa board

As you dive into your project, we like pics and we will answer questions
Will do, thank you!