Deck paint issues....

Acpics80

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

Question for those that have painted their decks. I recently applied a non-skid deck paint to my wooden decks but it appears that I applied the paint too thick. I can take my finger and easily remove clumps of the non-skid material, exposing wet paint underneath. The wooden decks were first sanded down and primed with SeaGloss primer and then I applied the SeaGloss non-skid (premixed). Any ideas on how to correct this issue on the part that I already painted? If possible I would like to save these two parts of the deck and not start from scratch. Also, how do I prevent it from happening again? Do I just need to thin the paint and spread it on very thinly going forward? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
give them time to cure, if thats already been and gone then id say you have wet paint under the dry that never gassed out or evaporated .

Acpics80

Seaman Apprentice
give them time to cure, if thats already been and gone then id say you have wet paint under the dry that never gassed out or evaporated .

I think that is what has happened, seeing that it seems to be occurring where there are clumps of the non-skid material. I guess worst case I remove the problematic pieces of deck, since it's plywood, but I really want to avoid that. Maybe I can brush out the clumps so that they can dry and then apply a thin coat to correct the color or brush marks?

andrew j cox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,

Question for those that have painted their decks. I recently applied a non-skid deck paint to my wooden decks but it appears that I applied the paint too thick. I can take my finger and easily remove clumps of the non-skid material, exposing wet paint underneath. The wooden decks were first sanded down and primed with SeaGloss primer and then I applied the SeaGloss non-skid (premixed). Any ideas on how to correct this issue on the part that I already painted? If possible I would like to save these two parts of the deck and not start from scratch. Also, how do I prevent it from happening again? Do I just need to thin the paint and spread it on very thinly going forward? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

From a painters perspective, let it cure in the sun until it’s cured hard, then you can sand the top and remove the dags, one coat at a time, thin your paint if it’s dragging by brush, nice thin even coats, one coat wonders usually fail, is your boat all wood?

andrew j cox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think that is what has happened, seeing that it seems to be occurring where there are clumps of the non-skid material. I guess worst case I remove the problematic pieces of deck, since it's plywood, but I really want to avoid that. Maybe I can brush out the clumps so that they can dry and then apply a thin coat to correct the color or brush marks?
You might need to scrape it off and start again, get the old heat gun and scrapers out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd contact the MFG and see what they say about correct application technique.

Acpics80

Seaman Apprentice
A few days in the sun seemed to do the trick! I thinned the paint a bit and used a foam roller on the next segments of the deck and it came out great, thankfully. Thanks to everyone for the responses.