deck hull seam

piers

Seaman
I have seaswirl striper 2600.On both the starboard and port side at the stern of the boat where the hull deck seam takes the corner from the sides of the boat the transom there is a leak.Fresh water leaks in a small stream when it rains.It is right at both corners , right at the hull deck seam.My question is does anyone know what I will find if I take the rubber insert of the rub rail off from the center of the transom( where it ends) to the corners.My thoughts are that there might be a screw that fastens the metal part of the rub rail to the boat and I might be able to reseal these screws if thats where it is leaking.I have tried to seal from the inside with SIKAFLEX but it did not do it.Does anyone have any ideas?Or any product that might work to seal this leak.Sorry for long post<br /><br /> PT

piers

Seaman
Re: deck hull seam

spelling error sorry,<br /><br /> The leak is where the seam takes the corner from the side of the boat TO the transom.<br /> PT

piers

Seaman

RG,<br /><br /> It leaks into a sort of shelf area which is gelcoated.It will gather there until I sponge it out.I was wondering if typicaly these deck -hull seams leak through the rub rail afixing screws or is it the seam itself.Has anyone had this problem before?<br /><br /> PT

Realgun

Commander

Where does it leak into? If its the bildge then I would say don't worry about it but, if it leaks into a foamed in are better seal it up.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

What you can do is remove the rubber strip (rubrail). Then you can unscrew the aluminum rubrail bracket and pull it back. You will have to remove a fair amount of screws to be able to pull the aluminum out far enough. Use a good sealant like 3M 5200 on the joint, and re-install the rubrail bracket, then the rubber rubrail. You will want the rubber to be warm so it is easier to install.<br /><br />When I did my rebuild, I used sealant all the way around. You do need to fix this, you don't want water leaking in if you can help it. Good luck...

piers

Seaman

Thanks JJ,<br /><br /> Is the rubber rub rail difficult to reinstall?Or is it just a matter of getting it supple enough to push and stretch it into place.Yes, my feeling is to stop all water from getting into places it is not suppose to be.<br /><br /> PT

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is something flexing back there causing the deck to hull joint to leak? You mentioned already attempting to fix it, maybe it didn't hold due to too much movement?? something to check for

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It'll pop back in if you use a mallet and use reasonably sharp blows. Work your way from where the rubrail is still in the bracket, make sure it is warm, and make sure it goes all the way to the end. I learned that lesson when reinstalling mine. I had fully removed it, and when I reinstalled it it now is a foot and a half too short. I plan to pull it back off when it is warm again and reinstall it (but then I had planned that this last summer and never got to it)...

piers

Seaman

Does'nt appear to be any movement back there.I feel it is the seam itself in this area.I guess my next step is to pull the rub rail off and re-seal.Thanks for the suggestions.I will post after I re-seal and let you know how it turned out.<br /><br /> PT