deck gap filler

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i need to provide a solid base for these poly tanks. pics show the tank at its' correct placement as well as the angle of the gaposis needing to be filled . the foot must be supported square. the deck is fiberglass and slopes down to the left and away, and is also unevenly bowed downward in the center of the tank. i will be mounting this tank on a 2x8 and will use 2" transom straps to secure them from the 2x8 to the top as the mfr. suggests. additionally, i may very possibly build a plywood enclosure around it as well, once secure.
the question is this,
what can i do to level the gap between 2x8 and the existing deck to provide a solid base for the 2x8??

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: deck gap filler

here are pics.

Attachments

• tankspot.jpg
    tankspot.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
  • tank2deck.jpg
    tank2deck.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think the Bondo glass reinforced filler would work well here. The 2x8 is strong enough that just a few globs of the filler will be strong enough to support the 2x8. 4 or 5 spots along its length should do it. Then set the tank on the 2x8 and press down and into possiton. It should set in a matter of minutes, and the excess that squeezes out can easily be cut off with razor knife before it fully cures.

Another thought is the expanding foam for filling gaps in houses, but I'm not sure that stuff would hold up to the weight of the tanks bearing down on it. You would have to do a test piece and see how easily the stuff crushes.

I think it would be wise to use pressure treated lumber if possable. Then you don't have to worry about encapsulating it to keep any water from rotting it out. Its amazing how fast dimensional lumber rots when wet.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

excellent suggestions. i mulled that one over, the bondo approach.i just don't know how the heck to pack it tightly without it drooping b4 it sets. i'm leaning towards plastic composite shims. i think if i support the middle evenly with 3 sets installed symetrically and spoodge them together with 5200 or dap 3.0 , then run a screw down into them to keep them from drifting, the 2x8 should take care of the rest.
the pressure treated lumber since '03 is so highly corrosive to fasteners they degrade right away, and so toxic a little splinter could make you sick. also it eats aluminum really fast. i really don't want that stuff on the boat if i can avoid it. so i'm using redwood instead. i'll treat it , triple prime, and 3 or 4 coats enamel prior to install. all fasteners will be sealed w/5200. since it is roughly 3/4" above the deck anyway, it'll probably outlast the motor.
what do you think?

Last edited:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I understand not wanting pressure treated. But I don't think the redwood is a good choice in a boat either.

How about the composit lumber sold at Lowes? The white stuff that is solid. It is UV safe, doesn't need painting, no problems with fasteners, and is easy to work with. If you were to use a 1x8 for the base in place of the 2x8, then cut wedge shaped pieces of the 1x to fit in every 6 inches or so to support the gap (like door stops). It should support the weight of the fuel tanks with no problem.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i've never seen that material. if it's what i think it is, a plastic composite decking, it may work. i'll head over there tomorrow. thanks again , mark.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Its not decking, its used for trim on houses where rot is a problem, like facia boards behind gutters. It comes in 1x up to 3x dimensional sizes. Maybe even 4x4 posts, but not sure.

jonesg

Admiral

A strip of wood. Plane it to match the angle or rip it on a saw.
Glue it down, set the 2x8 on top w. poxy.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for all your suggestions.after mentally exhausting myself trying to figure out which approach to use, i asked for a solution via spiritual source. this morning a friend stopped by while i was in the boat staring at this seemingly impossible project. he says "oh, that's no problem. lets glass it in." he said that if i prep it he'll do the glass and it'll only take a couple hours.
so that's the way i'm gonna go.i'll foam in the uneven gap below the board to lock it down and let him come and do what he does. i'll take pics and post them here.
thanks again you guys.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I think Mark is talking about garage door trim.

You can find it at any home depot etc.

If you seal a piece of yellow pine I think you'll be fine, there's a big difference between a regular 2x which is spruce and a yellow pine 2x.