Deck for my Jon boat?

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a 14 ft. 72" wide Jon boat and want to add a treated plywood deck from the front about 4 feet back. How can I do it without drilling any holes? And make it stable. I saw it done but didn't get the chance to ask the guy.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deck for my Jon boat?

I put a deck on my jon boat, but I did have to drill a few holes to make it stable. I then covered it with astroturf and mounted my trolling motor bracket in the front. I also put styrafoam on the deck, covered it with wood and then turfed it. Run a wire from the battery along the rail up front and hook it to a plug in the cubbyhole under the deck. A wall with a door makes a nice storage area. Back to your qustion...I can't think of a safe way to do a deck without drilling holes.

davejnz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just put a deck on my 14' jon,I did screw it down and ran a brace along the back and screwed it<br />in the sides.strong enough for 2-200' fisherman.I didn't carpet mine,I used a 2 part polyurethane coating with rubber granules back rolled on the second coat.Sand was another option but it is very rough on the feet.

crab bait

Captain

if the deck lays on the bench seats an you put a strip of wood on the bottom side of the new deck ...paralell with the bench seat but just 'fore of it.. where's it gonna go..?? it's resting on the seats an the wood strip keeps it from slidin'...<br /><br />who needs holes..

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of good ideas. What about where you would brace it against the bottom of the boat, like from the plywood down to floor of boat. Would it do any harm>

crab bait

Captain

just make your deck strongly intellegently as per some 1 x 2's on edge frame work underneath deck ply as so no verticale support is needed.. <br /><br />heck,, it ain't like it's great distance between the seats..

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

i made my deck out of aluminum street signing its 1/8 inch but street sign is very stiff. i braced the back with 1/4 thick 1 inch angle it worked great i went between my seats and ginged it for storage works great