B3nny422

Cadet
Do I need to put foam under the new deck in my 1991 Bayliner? If so,
why?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deck foam

Uhhmmm that's debatable. It's not REQUIRED by Law, but for Logical Safety reasons it's prolly a good idea to do so. It's your boat and you're free to do as you see fit. Most of the guys here on the forum will advise you to use enuf flotation foam to ensure your boat won't sink to the bottom in the event of a catastrophic event. If that happens you are responsible for the EPA clean-up costs and the recovery costs of the boat. Lot's less expensive if she's still floating. Just some food for thought.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recall another thread in the last couple of weeks on the every same subject. The poster wanted to know whether he should put back in fresh foam that was removed during reconstruction. I believe someone said that it was part of USCG instructions to boat builders to install it. The foam is there for a very good reason. One poster remarked, that if you didn't put back in the 'flotation foam' you should disclose it in any sale as it's something you cannot see in any visual inspection. Bit like cars have airbags, recent models must have them as standard, but how do you know you still have one in your used car?? There have been instances where unscrupulous sellers have sold a vehicle where airbags have deployed, but did not replace them due to the high cost. The unsuspecting new owner makes the assumption that because it say airbag on the steering wheel, they have one under the boss. Maybe, maybe not.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As I previously stated, it logically make sense to have it but...it only the Boat MFG's are required to install it, not Back Yard Boat Restorer's like us. You are not required by law to install foam in your boat!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Only the foolhardy don't put the foam back in their boat.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I think if there ever was a accident, and your insurance company was required to make a claim as a result of the accident, they may have a case to deny you, if it was originally there. I don't know if it's black and white, but I would sure feel better knowing I put it back the same way it was.
I think foam also helps many boats in keeping them from flexing in rough conditions. It does much more than save lives.

B3nny422

Cadet

Thanks for the advise, I will plan on foam then. That is...
when i get another boat and parts out this L-Drive with a Force 120..

Last edited:

B3nny422

Cadet

Thanks,finally some positive feed back..on the l drive. I know im getting good advice to ditch it.
ive gone round and round what to do with this boat. I decided I am going to put the deck together
and get this bastard drive wet.