deck and transom materials?

SeaSpriteDan

Cadet
I'm going to be replacing the deck and transom in my 18' I/O sea sprite. It seems that a majority of members on these forums use 3/4 ext ply with resin and fiberglass... I've been pricing and researching the materials for this and it seems that I will have approximately $1500 to $2000 invested in this project with tons of down time (while resin and glass dry).

My question: Is there some material that i could use to avoid the ridiculous amounts of labor, prep, and down time associated with waterproofing the wood? I guess what I'm asking is, is there a place to buy either already glassed ply or some other type of already waterproof panels to lower the amount of labor and prep time? I'm thinking that if there is, I could use these pre-prepped panels and just glass them into place around the edges as opposed to having to prep ext ply and glass the whole floor. Any input and/or opinions welcome!

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: deck and transom materials?

(while resin and glass dry).

Ayuh,.... resin, 'n glass don't dry, they Cure, 'n usually in Minutes, not days....

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

If you cut the pieces (use 1/2" for sole (real name for floor)) and glass them your really not talking about a lot of time.

It's the transom and stringers that can take time.

There are other cores you can use but they cost way more and don't save time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure where you're shopping but I'd advise you to look else where. If you are taling about the Sole/Deck ONLY. The materials cost for wood, resin and glass should be Well Under $1,000 dollars if you do it yourself.
www.uscomposites.com

To the best of my knowledge, there is NO premade waterproof material that you could use for your deck that could be purchased and installed for anywhere near that price.

I'm just sayin...:D

SeaSpriteDan

Cadet

US composites is where I'm looking... I'm doing the deck and transom. Maybe I'm just pricing the wrong kind of stuff. I know the 1708. But as far as resin and hardener, I might have priced the wrong stuff. What exactly should i be looking for there? Any ideas on how much of the materials I should buy? By reading other threads here, I assumed approximately 10 gallons of resin... what about the 1708 and hardener? And the stuff to make the "pb" mix?
Thanks so much for the input!

SeaSpriteDan

Cadet

Also, Im a little confused on the different cloth types. Is 1708 necessary? I notice a lot of people using CSM and then a single layer of 1708 on top. Could I just use the CSM for the top layer and mix a little surfacing wax with the resin for this layer? I'm carpeting over it so it doesn't really need to be "pretty". Just waterproof and durable. Depending on the answer to that question, I've repriced my materials. Let me know if it sounds correct...

2x 5 gallon - poly layup resin
50 yards - 1.5 oz CSM
1 gallon surfacing wax
Undetermined amount of 3/4 exterior ply.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

One layer of 1.5oz CSM is OK for the bottom of the plywood, but the topside can take a great deal of abuse and one layer isn't really enough, but on the other hand 1708 is over kill. A good layup for a deck is one layer of CSM and then one 10oz cloth, I don't normally use cloth and its not good for much of anything, but in this application it works OK. 18 or 24 oz roving works well too, but will be a little heavier. Cloth works well because its thin and provides a smoother surface.

Two layers of CSM works too, but it will also be heavier and not quite as strong due to the extra resin.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Do you plan on installing/gluing marine grade rubber backed carpet on your Floor/deck/Sole or whatever ?

I would think 2 layers of 1.5 oz mat if your answer is yes :) .

YD.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

For the sole/deck/floor - I'd use one layer of csm on the bottom and edges, then one layer of 1708 on top. I'm not sure how much that would take of each and resin (I don't know how big your floor is)

I buy poly resin unwaxed for $24 a gallon from Ben's Auto Paints in town.

A sheet of 1/2 ply is $14

Biaxial cloth (1708) 38" x 10 yards $89 at Jamestown Dist.

If you used 4 gallons, 1 sheet of ply, and bought a roll of 1708 your looking at $200.

Of course don't forget a couple gallons of acetone $14 ea., a glass roller $10

So what maybe $300 to do your sole (floor) and a couple Saturdays labor.

Now for your transom you need some 3/4 ply $18 you probably have plenty of 1708 left over and a couple gallons of resin.

On the high side $200.

Stringers? Depends on how many and how big they are.

I'd buy a roll of 1708 tape too 6". I just love the stuff. Used it for tabbing everything. 6" x 15 yards $28.