decisions decisions

not2high2fly

Cadet
Thinking I might try boating one more time. Last boat ended up a bust,was told it ran but needed new bellows long story short it need's bellows and engine and doing a repower(inboard) on a trailer in the driveway with no room won't be happening. The wife is REAL happy. So what do you guy's think,I like the sporty type boat's it will need a cabin for the she hag and my son somewhere around 25' or under so I can trailer it and I am only going to spend a few grand(5 or under) I know you get what you pay for but I've been burnt once and I don't even know if boating is for us if it is then we will upgrade. If my boat was an outboard it would have a new engine now but re powering inboards at home suck's so what do you think I/O,Out board. Thank's for the help

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: decisions decisions

I think if you are looking in the 23' to 26' range (trailerable) express cruiser or cuddy cabin. you will find some very good condition but older boats ( mid 80's to early 90's) by spending about $10,000 on the purchase price.

If you find something in that size for the price you want you will probably spend more than the 5 grand you saved to rebuild it.

When you are just getting into boating you will enjoy it much more if you are out on the water instead of spending all your gas money putting a boat together.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I think if you are looking in the 23' to 26' range (trailerable) express cruiser or cuddy cabin. you will find some very good condition but older boats ( mid 80's to early 90's) by spending about $10,000 on the purchase price.

If you find something in that size for the price you want you will probably spend more than the 5 grand you saved to rebuild it.

When you are just getting into boating you will enjoy it much more if you are out on the water instead of spending all your gas money putting a boat together.

Yup.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Inboard / outboard discussion will open a huge can of worms.
My opinion for what it's worth is that an outboard can be replaced by hanging a new one on the back and possibly having to fit a new set of controls.
Ideal for someone who does not want to work at a rebuild in the driveway.
Unless you are an expert with plenty of spare parts readily available an inboard is most likely more time consuming for out of the water repairs.
For 3 of you a 20 footer would most likely be a decent size to see if you like boating or not.
Just my 2 cents everyone. No need for a I/O - Outboard bashing session :D

not2high2fly

Cadet

not trying to put down either set up just saying it would nice to have a gantry with a beam trolly

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I Had 1 I/O, used, and being a stupid first time buyer, I didn't know what yellowish-brown engine oil meant. Then it was sitting partially filled with water (alum boat so deck was not encased in FG) and the outdrive had been sitting in the water at a marina for some 20 years. Needless to say it was a COMPLETE overhaul and I obviously paid too much for it after I realized the problems.

Nar another.

Mark