Decided On The Ranger

Brimauster

Cadet
So I have decided to get the Ford Ranger to be the tow vehicle for me. I've read a lot of opinions both for and against this little truck, and I believe it will suit me fine. I will be towing a 19' aluminum boat with a 135hp I/O on a single axle trailer.

The total weight of the boat-motor-trailer package is 3332#. Add in 34 gallons of fuel at 6.3 Lbs/gal, and the weight goes up to 3547#. Batteries, (2) another 150# or so, add in some gear and coolers and I'm now up to around 4200#. The GCWR is 9500#, so 4200(trailer) + 4760(truck) = 8960# which is a slim 540# under the GCWR, close, but within the limit.

The Ranger's towing capacity is as follows: (all info is direct from Ford website)

4.0L V6 - 3.55 axle - 4X2 - Auto - Reg. cab - 7' bed = 6000#

4.0L V6 - 3.55 axle - 4X2 - Auto - X-cab = 5860# (3.73 axle not offered on 2WD)

4.0L V6 - 3.73 axle - 4X4 - Auto - X-cab = 5560#

I've read quite a bit about the 3.73 and 4.10 gears in the rear axle being the optimum choice for towing, but why then does the 3.55 in 4X2 have a higher rating than the 3.73 in 4X4? I would guess its because the engine has to give power to the front axle in 4X4 mode?

I would say that 95% of my trailering would be within a 30 mile range, with a few small hills. And maybe once a year a long haul up to Lake George, ( 350 mi round trip).

I will be using this truck as my daily driver as well as towing, so the 3.55 looks good for mileage. Is the 3.55 4X2 an acceptable choice for a 4200# load? I know some will say go with the 3.73/4X4 for those slippery ramps, and rightly so... but do I really need it?

rndn

Commander
Re: Decided On The Ranger

You're really going to push the Ranger to its limits. You should really reconsider if you want to keep the truck for a while.

Matt S

Seaman

The 4x2 reg cab weighs less thus allowing more to be towed. The bottom line is given a 4.0L , Automatic, they all have the same GCWR. If you get the extra cab..the truck weighs more so you lose some in the "tow weight". I think the curb weight difference between the 4x2 4.0L standard cab and 4x4 4.0L extra cab is at least 800 lbs difference. 4x4 gear on the front adds weight....ya get the picture. I do HIGHLY suggest the Built Ford Tough tow package.. I was mistaken earlier, btw..my '05 extra cab 4x4 4.0L Edge has the 4.10's with the BFT package. BTW if you didn't catch my last post..I have the next heaviest truck (the FX4 is heaviest..hence the least stated tow capacity) and with a Leer top on the back, a Futon mattress for the dog, spray in bedliner, half tank of gas and me I weigh in right at 4300lbs...

Are you adding batteries or confirmed the weight doesn't include batteries? Just curious. But another 100lbs or so isn't much.

You are on the heavy side, really though only a few hundred more than me, but I recall you saying you've been around towing heavy junk for some time. You're a smart driver, and you pay attention to what you put in your rig, you'll be alright. And I think surprised how well it tows.

And lastly...if you are concerned about mileage don't buy a truck. Period. The 4.0L sucks gas..get used to it now.. Do yourself a favor and get the better tow gears on the rear, your transmission will thank you. 3.55 vs 4.10 isn't going to get you much economy in this truck. Keeping your foot out of it and staying below 70mph is where all the fuel economy is with this truck...all 1.5mpg difference. On the plus side..towing my stuff I only LOSE about 1-2mpg. Empty MPG sucks..towing MPG is nice. go figure.

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just my 2 cents. If you are just traveling within 30 miles you will probably be just fine, but it might come along when you want to make a trip of it. When you are considering towing always go for bigger, you are really going to be pushing that Ranger to its limits. I am not a ford guy but I would never even think about pulling my 18ft deck boat with a blazer, s10 or ranger. Similar weight to yours. Sure they are rated for it but pull it up a hill trying to go 55mph and 10 cars behind you upset you are slowing down. Unless you are pulling a small jon boat or pop up camper I would always look into getting a full size. You will be glad you did. Surprisingly most of the time the gas mileage is just as good or close. My full size Silverado isn't much worse then mid size truck. Save yourself the grief and get the big boy. My brother in law opted for the 6 cyl jeep Cherokee and his dad got the V8. Gas mileage and pulling is better on the v8 then the v6 and almost the same on normal travel. He was mad he made the choice due to he thought the v6 would be so much better on gas. He just bought a boat and the v6 struggles but makes it.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

4x4 is going to be needed unless ALL the ramps you visit with your boat are paved and don't have a steep ramp.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

And for gosh sakes, if you go with a 2-wheel drive, get the locking or limited slip differential -- if you don't you have one wheel drive -- not two. Even in a 4WD rig, the best you have is 2WD if you don't have a locker in the rear. One front wheel and one rear wheel will spin. I've seen 4x4s stuck on a perfectly flat parking lot covered with glare ice. At least then you'd have 3 wheel drive. A 4x4 would also give you the optioin of low range on the transfer case for pulling out of steep ramps. I agree with everyones suggestions to bypass the 3.55. I refuse to buy any tow vehicle if I can't get a 3.73:1 or deeper gear. The deeper gear is more important as you approach the upper limit (when you get over 70 - 75%) of the maximum tow rating.

84 SeaRay

Cadet

Everyone is saying you'll be pushing the Ranger to its limits. Not so. I have a 01 Ranger Edge with the 4.0 in it. Mine is 4wd and has ls front and back. I tow a 19ft Sea Ray Seville with it every weekend and I have never had a problem. I have 4.10 gearing and I don't have any trouble climbing hills, even from a dead stop. I personally wouldn't get one that has 3.73's in it. It will be very sluggish.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

SEaRay -- Did you not just contradict yourself. On one hand you said the Ranger is not pushed to its limit. Then you said not to get 3.73 gears as it will be sluggish. What do you think that vehicle would be like with 3.55 gears?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I suppose the Ranger is comparable to my 1999 S10 4.2 automatic with o/d. I am towing a 21 foot cuddy about 32-3600 lbs with a frame hitch and no trailer brakes. Stops ok but you have to press the brakes firmly. Stopping twice the weight.

Tows just fine; tail does not wag dog. Up hills are ok as long as I get a run on the steep ones. Two wheel drive. If I have a problem at the ramp I lightly apply brakes with left foot while applying throttle, to equalize drag on both sides. hardly ever spin wheels. And, that's with Tiger paws, which spin if it looks like it's going to rain or if somebody spits in the road. If pressed, I have a few people jump in the bed or load some logs or rocks into it. Never got stuck yet--even on a muddy, wet, concrete ramp.
Mileage 23 over-all empty--12 when towing. --But then again, it takes twice the gas to move twice the weight. Can't change the laws of physics.

Overall, happy with the tow vehicle. Unhappy that I can only carry 3 people.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The difference in your fuel mileage is proof of an incorrect axle ratio. I also tow with an S10 but its a crew cab (four full doors) and 3.73 gears. While I'm towing a tad over 3000, I can tow in OD with A/C on and the truck religiously delivers 17 MPG. It gets 21 when not towing. The 12 mpg towing (and 10 MPG spread) indicates you probably have 3.42 gears and must have to use a fair amount of throttle. A vacuum gauge would probably show the engine has less than 6 inches of manifold vacuum and thus the low mileage.

Brimauster

Cadet

I appreciate everyones input on this topic, but I have sad news...:(, The Boss has stated that there will be NO new truck to tow anything, anywhere...:( & :mad:. Big bruhaha over it with threats and everything... Jeez! So I have had to reconsider my options and requirements. The wife has a Honda CRV that can tow 1500Lbs... she says I can have the boat, as long as the CRV can tow it, serious damper on boat choices huh?

So, being the reasonable, understanding, loving husband that I am :rolleyes:, and taking into account that 95% of the time it will only be myself and my daughter, and the fact that this will be my first boat, I have decided to go smaller than 19'. I want to stay with aluminum, however.

So, thanks again with all the help, I'll keep it in mind for a few years down the road when some of my debts are paid off and I'll be more solvent.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. If anyone sees my recently emasculated ba!!s, keep 'em on ice, I'll need them again someday!... Women!:rolleyes:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yeah! Takes a good bit of throttle to get her going from a stop. Funny though, I used to tow an 18 footer on the same 900 lb trailer just maybe 500 lbs lighter and never noticed the difference in gas mileage. I guess there's a break point where the engine just needs to work much harder. Never looked at the rear end ratio--couldn't tell you what I have.

Matt S

Seaman

SEaRay -- Did you not just contradict yourself. On one hand you said the Ranger is not pushed to its limit. Then you said not to get 3.73 gears as it will be sluggish. What do you think that vehicle would be like with 3.55 gears?

He's got 4.10's and would not want 3.73's is what he said...

Too bad the boss put the kabosh on it. Sounds like you'll have some fun with the kids anyway..that's the point eh? :D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Matt -- the original poster is talking about a Ranger with 3.55 gears. Its that vehicle thats being pushed to the limit -- with those gears.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bummer on the ultimatum.

1500 lbs ain't much... and in reality, you don't want to be anywhere too close to the tow limit on that rig.

For that weight range you're looking at a 16' aluminum skiff with a 35 hp motor. It may not be what you wanted but I guess lots of folks have had plenty of fun with less. The way gas prices are going, it may not be that bad of an option.

What sort of activites are you interested in?

There are other 'low-weight' options for having fun on the water.

Small sailboat?
3 Passenger Waverunner (some of these can tow skiers) ?

Brimauster

Cadet

In hindsight, maybe it's not such a bad idea to go with a small boat... gas, handling/docking, launch/recovery, etc...

My boating activities involve not a whole lot more than lounging, swimming, a little fishing, maybe some tubing or skiing. I like camping as well, so beaching the boat on a quiet spot on the lakeshore and setting up a tent and building a little campfire would be awesome. Just getting out on the water and watching the sun set would be worth it to me. I did a lot of boating as a kid with my Grandfather, (Norwegian boatwright by trade), and I want to share that experience with my daughter. She is a natural born swimmer, and loves nothing more than being on, in, or around water.

My wife owns a Honda CR-V and I found out that the 1500# limit is with a trailer with NO brakes, but up to 3000# with brakes. This information comes from several sources, most notably, a Honda CR-V enthusiasts forum.

I'm now looking at 16' - 18', aluminum, used. I'll try to keep the weight as low as possible, naturally, but a little over 1500# will not be a problem. I'll need to install a Curt receiver hitch (2") and a trans cooler, but it's better than buying a new truck.

So my plan is to accept my fate, and get a little boat now, learn some things and get some experience. When the timing is right, I'll move up to my dreamboat, the Starcraft Islander 221. I'm guessing maybe 5 years down the road (river) from now.

Last edited:

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

What is it they say? If the admiral is not happy, no one is happy?! :D

Always a good choice making sure you and the admiral are on the same page.