decarb

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
248
Good morning folks, I have an 87 Force, 85hp. is there a time that you should decarb or is it done once a year or just when you loose power?<br />I want to start the year off right and an changing the impeller and stearing cables and want to make sure I have everything covered. This engine has not given me any trouble yet and I would like to keep it that way.<br />Thanks
 

kenroy3

Cadet
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
13
Re: decarb

All maintenance procedures work best when performed on a schedule. Use a product such as Seafoam once per year. Don't wait for the engine to lose power (although, it takes a considerable amount of time for the effects of carbon to make a difference).<br /><br />If you spend many hours trolling and find that your spark plugs tend to foul, then consider decarboning more often.
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: decarb

Do it once a year, early in the season. The only time NOT to do it is late in the season just before winterizing. It's corrosive and it has to be run completely out of the motor before storage. A few hours of operation is plenty.<br /><br />Those motors are especially susceptible to major damage from overheating, poor lubrication, and carbon in the rings. Take steps to avoid those and you'll have more fun than misery from that motor. ;)
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: decarb

Originally posted by bob jr:<br /> or just when you loose power?<br />
It may be too late if you wait that long.<br />Decarb is to be done as maintenance, not as a repair.
 

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
248
Re: decarb

Thanks folks, can I use the seafoam in the gas all the time? I know there are two kinds, the spray that you use to decarb then the liquid to put in the gas.
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: decarb

If it has never been done do the deep creep (spray can) first. If your motor will run with it in the gas use the regular seafoam in all your tanks of gas. I tried running it in my chrysler and had problems with motor idle.
 
Top