Dealer put Synth Oil in at 20 hrs

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, from what I can gather in the somewhat convoluted manual, my 2008 5.7 Gxi should have synthetic engine oil put in at 200 hrs.

Dealer just did the winterization and changed the oil and put in Synthetic.

Should I get it switched back or just continue with Synthetic?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dealer put Synth Oil in at 20 hrs

Let's see if you get some help over here with this one . . . good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Motors are pretty well Broken In by 20hrs,... I wouldn't worry about it...

JustJason

Vice Admiral

This makes it a tri-fecta +3 from me.

Wouldn't worry about it.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I beleive that synthetic has better qualities than conventional and with that, 20 hours is about like the 500-1000 miles initial breakin on a car engine..

No problem...

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys.

I for sure want synthetic in there eventually, I just wasn't sure if the manual saying 200 hrs and them doing it at 20 hours was gonna cause me pain.

Cheers.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys.

I for sure want synthetic in there eventually, I just wasn't sure if the manual saying 200 hrs and them doing it at 20 hours was gonna cause me pain.

Cheers.

Just keep an eye our for any oil consumption.

I made the mistake of changing the oil in a new truck engine too soon...and the new crate engine was using a quart per 700 miles. I drained the synthetic and replaced with conventional oil for the next 500 miles. Refilled with the synthetic and had zero oil consumption between scheduled changes. That was over 100,000 miles ago.

Apparently the synthetic was so slick that the rings weren't seating!

Just watch...and remember that it is still possible to seat the rings, after the fact.

Happy boating!

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are miss-reading your manual. Synth oil should be changed ever 200 hours after the 20 hour break-in oil is replaced. The engine is shipped with dino oil for break in from Volvo and should be replace the synth oil at the 20 hour service. Your dealer is following the Volvo recommended procedures.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are miss-reading your manual. Synth oil should be changed ever 200 hours after the 20 hour break-in oil is replaced. The engine is shipped with dino oil for break in from Volvo and should be replace the synth oil at the 20 hour service. Your dealer is following the Volvo recommended procedures.

Concur!

I can't say it was shipped with dino yet the/my 5.7 GXi manual definitely states to use Volvo Synthetic-30W, and the first change should be at the 20 hr mark etc.

Worry no more. :)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Synthetic oil is the factory fill on a lot of todays engines.