Dead until hit trim

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
2005 Sea Ray, 5.0MPI B3

Get to slip, turn batteries from OFF to Both, turn on blower for a minute or four, turn the key to Start and silence. Also note dash is dead, no Smartcraft, no remote radio controller, no fire suppression led, etc. Horn works, blower still works, water pump for sprayer works. First to determine if I have decent voltage I hit the trim figuring it’s a bigger load. As soon as I tap trim switch, you hear the trim pump and the dash comes alive. Turn key from Run to Start and it starts up. I shut and restarted several times now.

I’m stumped. Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
Any ideas?

Ayuh,..... Corroded wirin' connections,......

Start a the battery, 'n move through to atleast the starter,....
Remove each connection, 'n clean it to Shiny Metal CLEAN,....
Then reassemble, 'n slather 'em with grease to keep 'em corrosion free,....

'n don't forget to do the Grounds,.... Both ends of each wire/ cable,.....

alldodge

Staff member
Corroded wirin' connections,......

Agree, soon as you hit the trim a surge of current hit at the starter cable post where the trim is also. Probably was a slight spark and then there was a connection. Clean the wiring connections both Neg and Pos on the battery, starter and block

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. Battery terms are clean from a month ago but everything else is probably in need. At least now I know thanks to you guys. Any idea what connector would impact starter, gauges, etc.? Me thinks it’s got to be in fuse block under dash since some switches like horn worked. Not sure at moment if ignition switch goes thru that block.

I need to clean all but want to prioritize for a Sunday outing.

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Battery terminals may be clean but what about where the other ends connect?
you start at the starter and work forward. All power starts at the starters battery cable connection

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just looked under dash and connections at fuse box look perfect. The nuts and connectors look like brand new ones I have at home.

If everything goes off starter post, why did some things like blower, horn, water pump work yet others didn’t. Does Smartcraft, radio, & fire suppression take more amps than things that worked?

Thanks

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The power for everything comes off the starter lug where the line comes from the battery. There is a stack of connectors there. One of those was making connection, the others weren't. When you hit the trim the spark that shot from battery cable to trim power wire basically welded them together and additionally connected the power wire going to your dash. That's the place to start. However, as stated so well by Bt, AD and Bondo, that is just the place to start. Go through all the major connections, especially ground from battery that connects to the back of the engine. Polish them shiny.

alldodge

Staff member
Power to the things that were working do not come from the engine harness, its a separate feed

RaceCarRich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it. That makes sense. Didn’t realize it was stacked connectors as it wasn’t visible. I did feel down there to see if it could feel a fusible link before it started. Tomorrow I’ll clean the starter post connectors. Next week I’ll start looking for more connections.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Don't forget the ones on the engine block, the negatives...