Dead Battery

I bought a new starting battery at the beginning of summer and it died on the lake this weekend after only about 40 hours on the water. I have an 85hp Force motor that should have been recharging the battery - any ideas as to why it would have died already? The only accessories I have hooked up to it are the horn, lights and small radio.<br /><br />2nd question - Should I be charging this battery on a charger at the house after bringing the boat back in from the lake, and if so, can I leave it in the boat with everything hooked up to it while charging?

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Dead Battery

I always charge my battery with a charger the night before, if it has been sitting for a week or so. My understanding is that a outboard will keep a fully charged battery charged while you are running but they are not designed to bring a battery back from beyond. Check your voltage with the motor running you should be getting around 13.8 ti 14.2 volts. If you are not I would check for a bad rectifier. Good Luck And I leave everything connected while I am Charging my battery.

Okay - thanks. Any idea why the battery might have died after 40 hours and not much pull on it? I checked the cells and water/acid were fine.<br /><br />By the way - what part of PA are you from? I grew up around Pittsburgh. Also, I have a 1985 16' Bayliner Capri with 85hp Force O/B motor on it. What is your boat?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Engine charging system probably not working. Charge battery on an external charger, start engine and measure across battery terminal while running at idle. Should get ~ 14 to 14.5 VDC, if not something's not working (rectifier, stator, etc).