De rigging a 1966 Super Seahorse Deluxe 40hp?

matt167

Rear Admiral
I know that the wires under the cowl need to be un plugged first, since it is a pre red plug motor, or do I keep it connected on that end and disconnect from the front? This motor has the charging box as well, being its's a Deluxe with charging circuit although I don't think it works.

matt167

Rear Admiral
Disconnect it inside the junction box.

Ok, that makes sense.. And the harness that runs up to the ignition switch should be one complete harness right? So that will terminate from the junction box to the dash.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If we can believe it is in as-built/original, the main motor cable runs into the junction box, where it is disconnected by two wing nuts and a couple of plastic plugs. Yes, if you are asking about the dash cable, that came all pre-assembled to the box. Just remove the box from the boat and pull the whole thing out aft-ward.

The voltage regulator is in the junction box cover--with plug-in terminals if you need to remove that.

I really hate it when some butchers remove everything with a hacksaw or bolt cutters.

matt167

Rear Admiral
If we can believe it is in as-built/original, the main motor cable runs into the junction box, where it is disconnected by two wing nuts and a couple of plastic plugs. Yes, if you are asking about the dash cable, that came all pre-assembled to the box. Just remove the box from the boat and pull the whole thing out aft-ward.

The voltage regulator is in the junction box cover--with plug-in terminals if you need to remove that.

I really hate it when some butchers remove everything with a hacksaw or bolt cutters.

I'm repowering the boat with a brand new 25hp Suzuki, so yes all of the Johnson/ OMC stuff is going.I'm fairly sure that this boat came with this motor.. The previous owners put in a battery disconnect which looks like they did it cleanly but I've never looked at exactly how they tied it in.. If they just tied in the positive battery cable, then I'm golden. They bolted the disconnect to the underside of the splash well. I had to fix some of their mess, as they were powering the bilge pump off the radio through a ten cent switch and the circuit was fed by a 4 conductor 18 gauge speaker wire bundle.. So while it looks clean, it may not be.

I may re use the motor in a different boat, but I'm not sure yet. I don't want to cut the harness out, so that it's re usable

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
I recommend re using the engine. I had a 1964 Super SeaHorse 35hp on my first boat. Ran like a dream, besides the 24:1 premix. Super peppy engine, lots of fun.

matt167

Rear Admiral
Being a '66 it's permitted to use 50:1. It runs great. Just time to bring the boat up to date for my purposes.

matt167

Rear Admiral
The next town over has a '61 Dorsett Catalina with no motor for $300. Would do ok with the Big Twin 40hp... But I have too many boats and don't need another restoration project