Daytona Bike Week Ends,,,, permanently for 7 bikers.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
As I write this the sun is setting on the 2005 Daytona Bike Week and so far 7 bikers will go home in caskets. One fatality is noted in the press release below, but the biker death that really got to me occured 3 blocks away from my house on Route A1A in Ormond by the Sea, which is located about 7 miles north of Daytona Beach. A young couple on separate bikes were headed north when the helmetless lady biker struck a pick-up backing into the roadway, the pick-up driver than ran over the bike and then the lady biker killing her, the lady bikers boy friend then assaulted the pick-up driver and tore her face up pretty badly, so far no charges have been filed against anyone involved pending the outcome of a blood sample analysis. The irony of all this is Florida is a helmet optional state and 6 of the 7 killed wore no helmet. Probably a good thought for all bikers.<br /><br />><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><>< <br /> <br />This email is brought to you by the Volusia County Sheriffs Office. Visit us online at http://www.volusia.org/sheriff/default.htm <br /> <br />This List Service will provide periodic news releases regarding criminal cases and other Sheriff's Office news of interest and important public safety and crime prevention notices. <br /> <br />Unsubscribe information is located at the bottom of this email. <br /> <br />><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><> <br /> <br />March 13, 2005<br />For immediate release<br />Contact: Brandon Haught, Public Information Office<br /><br />MOTORCYCLIST KILLED IN DELTONA ACCIDENT<br /> <br />A motorcyclist was killed and his passenger seriously injured in a crash on Deltona Boulevard early Sunday morning. The crash occurred at about 12:57 a.m. and is under investigation by the Volusia County Sheriff's Office. <br />The motorcycle was traveling southbound, initially at or below the speed limit. But witnesses said the Yamaha motorcycle then rapidly sped up, exceeding the posted 35 mph limit. As the motorcycle was approaching DeBary Avenue, it failed to stop for a semi-trailer that was backing out of the McDonald's parking lot and crashed into the side of the semi. The impact<br />killed the motorcycle operator, 42-year-old Louis Stanley of Deltona, who was pronounced dead at the scene. Stanley's passenger, 45-year-old Susan Ortega, was airlifted by Sheriff's Office helicopter to Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach in serious but stable condition. Neither rider was wearing a helmet.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Daytona Bike Week Ends,,,, permanently for 7 bikers.

That is really tragic.<br />I always wear a helmet, no matter what.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I dont know if helmet would have help in that situation.<br /><br />I dont really want to own a street bike cause I know I would wipe myself out in 6 months. Just too much fun to go fast.<br /><br />Ken

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I gave up on the street bikes back in '94. Just got too scary out there with traffic. Had a few close calls and after a while the bike sat in the garage not being ridden. <br /><br />I'll take my chances dodging the trees in the woods on my boonie bikes. At least the trees don't jump out in front of me.<br /><br />And I still wear a helmet.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Plus I never did see anything remotely interesting about riding around dressed in black wearing a snotrag on your head while your bike sounds like a lawnmower on steroids. Just pretty lemming like. Do as the rest does. Follow the pack right off the edge of the cliff. Oh well.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Poor Gil, I guess the saying is true. If I have to explain you just wouldn't understand.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sbn, didn't know you had a scooter, or are you talking about your rocket boat?<br /><br />Yes, always alot of senseless deaths on our highways. <br /><br />I rode for 28 years and recently gave it up.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

kb, I like your avatar. Real cool. I ride motorcycle but I am usually the defensive driver. Took a class with the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) and learned a few things. I do wear helmet and sometimes I don't. That is my right. Having rode for more than 20+ years I am more careful now that there are more crazy driver around.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

ah-ha.. That esplains all the wanna-be bad-azz pozers puttin' around on their crotch-rockets this weekend.. I knew there was a reason... Gobs of bikes on the turnpike today..<br /><br />Now.. If only my mommy would let me have a West Coast Choppers El-Diablo....
53.gif
<br /> :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I used to be a lemming. I had a blast. But it is true that the American road system is geared soley to 4-wheel and greater. Especially Florida.<br />I quit riding out of respect for my wife's fears, after a moron in a pickup truck missed center (I was only injured). I, on the other hand, would much rather leave this earth getting scraped-off the side of a blue hair's caddy,than the way every other member of my family has---which was cancer.<br />I love Mrs 12Footer, but if I go out suffering with something slowly and painfully devouring me, I'll find it hard to forgive her.<br />That couple were having the time of thier lives until they hit the truck. What a beautiful way to go! <br />-with a smile on yer face,and bugs in yer teeth!<br />And now, you understand why most bikers don't want helmets. Why live-thru injuries sustained by some blu-hair in a caddy pulling out in front of you? Besides the physical therapy will drive you insane!!! (like me)<br />"Drunk in a land rover, Game over".

NYMINUTE

Captain

Spring Break.....Alot of tragedies. Happens every year.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

12 footer, I dont think that would be a pleasent way to go.<br /><br />The last 1-2 seconds would be 100% fear and shock.<br /><br />There are better ways to go.<br /><br /><br />Ken