Dash got ripped out!

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I gave a 2005 270 I/O rinker express cruiser. Someone I guess needed my dash with all my gauges worse than I did. The harness/wires behind the dash were all cut. What a mess. So that harness, is that a merc harness from the motor to the gauges or do the boat makers create that harness? Rinker is out of business so I have no resources there.. I really don't like the look of the vessel view in a dash panel space that obviously had gauges prior..I'm fine with gauges..insurance claim was 1500 less 500 deductible...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The harness from the dashboard to the plug on the engine should be a MerCruiser one. I expect it will be available from MerCruiser or Sierra.

The wiring that powers the gauges and other stuff light like nav lights, would be Rinker. You will likely need to make that one up yourself or find a universal aftermarket one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depends. some dash wiring is from mercruiser. most are done by outside marine instrument panel shops.

the wiring should be ABYC standard colors.

I would look to see if any of the marine surplus stores have a dash, then all you have to do is a bit of wiring.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
1714046011070.png

1714045927575.png

quick search on some of google and one from one of the surplus sites.

Fun Times

Staff member
And calling grate lakes marine for a wiring harness (too) would probably be a good start at making this ordeal as easy as possible...Edit: where do you live?

rickasbury

And calling grate lakes marine for a wiring harness (too) would probably be a good start at making this ordeal as easy as possible...Edit: where do you live?
I live in Central Florida..great lakes has the panel..wiring if I were just transferring I could handle but a bunch of cut wires...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The dash panel from GLS will not have wiring. However GLS does have harnesses too

rickasbury

The dash panel from GLS will not have wiring. However GLS does have harnesses too
Thanks for the input all- I think I found someone to handle- I need to figure out stick with gauges or VV- which ever is cheaper I guess...

briangcc

Commander
I work with computers all day and know they can be temperamental so my vote would be gauges.

airshot

Rear Admiral
To bad you couldn't catch the sob that took your dash !! I can't stand a theif.

rickasbury

You know, you are all right- computers are great when they work and this is just a computer. I work for a company the sells new ambulances and remounts and repairs older ones. Back in the 80's, they were controlled by wires, relays and such- mow they are computer screens, some still had the buttons(which fail) and now replacing those with touch screens. If everything is not perfect, they don't work, and they are not sitting in water! Ya just made up my mind, I think I've been trying to talk myself into it.

So quick update..so now I go to looking and now I have to choose between another or digital- I'm not flying to the moon here ...my boat is all original 2005 rinker. What would the gauges have been, anolog I'd assume? Digital sounds "newer"?

Last edited:

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
You know, you are all right- computers are great when they work and this is just a computer. I work for a company the sells new ambulances and remounts and repairs older ones. Back in the 80's, they were controlled by wires, relays and such- mow they are computer screens, some still had the buttons(which fail) and now replacing those with touch screens. If everything is not perfect, they don't work, and they are not sitting in water! Ya just made up my mind, I think I've been trying to talk myself into it.

So quick update..so now I go to looking and now I have to choose between another or digital- I'm not flying to the moon here ...my boat is all original 2005 rinker. What would the gauges have been, anolog I'd assume? Digital sounds "newer"?
this is just my opinion, i would go basic, nice piece of mahogany, a router and new basic gauges and a little tlc, but thats just me.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do NOT FORGET ...all....those oddball sensors you have to use . Or convert to the different gauges.

rickasbury

I order a dash panel and still have to check for fit before I order gauges...and anolg gauges is what I need to purchase correct? Also, I'm thinking of installing vessel view mobile as the information it brings seems very much worth the cost- I can do both correct or is it connecting to the boat through the same onnectios as my gauges?