dash cams

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I see too much crazy crap out there so time to get one.

Got one for the truck already but is a bit different than my needs now. It has only forward unless you are in reverse. Very nice for the boat but on my car I want to be actively recording both at the same time.

Here's my prob - I got it based on a recommendation of someone at the ramp so I didn't do any real research and in looking at all the terms/features/etc that I would need to learn I thought I'd ask yall.

Here are my (currently known) wants:
no wifi connection, want bluetooth. I don't have 100% cell coverage here
no need for screens, I have a back up built in therefore app only is fine
large capacity, sometimes may want to look back a day or two
intuitive app so don't have to relearn every time
hardwired would be ok, prefer bluetooth to add
prefer rear not have to be hardwired to the front/main
no interior view who wants to record what one does inside a car
wide angle a nice to have
don't need parking time recorded
downloadable video

anything I don't know feel free to list if it is a must have.

This one would appear to be close to what i want other than wired to the main and wifi. Can they be recording without the wifi? What does the wifi do?

Love to have a system that could just add cams to them, like my home Nest cams. Or possibly I could buy two diff brands and just have two diff apps

aspeck

Staff member
I will have to ask at the fire station ... we are getting 18 cameras for our rigs ... unfortunately we have to at this point ... we need documentation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you realize that the wifi system uses a short-range wifi network that is picked up within 20-30 feet of the unit, correct?

alldodge

Staff member
I have 2 Garmin and do like them, they only look forward. Got it after sleeping Cop gave me a ticket

This ONE
and I turned off interior sound and GPS speed

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well went with these, two of them

fairly intuitive set up, cheap and with 128g cards about $120 all in. They do have a voice command capability for taking a pic or recording a vid which it course it does but then when i activate that mode it gets partitioned off so no recording over it. Also has crash detection which will do the same automatically

Driving home about 520 miles tomorrow so we shall see.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I will have to ask at the fire station ... we are getting 18 cameras for our rigs ... unfortunately we have to at this point ... we need documentation.
i've got a friend with 17 trucks on the road and it has saved her plenty just in the last couple years. She showed us one where the car passed on a two lane, over double lines, then IMMEDIATELY short stopped to make her turn. Did not go well for her or her vehicle, she still sued anyway but it was a short case.

ejnichol

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well went with these, two of them

fairly intuitive set up, cheap and with 128g cards about $120 all in. They do have a voice command capability for taking a pic or recording a vid which it course it does but then when i activate that mode it gets partitioned off so no recording over it. Also has crash detection which will do the same automatically

Driving home about 520 miles tomorrow so we shall see.
How would this work if you wanted a camera rearward facing. Install two? Wonder if phone could support 2 at same time?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yes, i installed two. No it only connects one at a time to my phone but that is the reason I went with no screen unit - i watch the road not a screen so will not use real time to watch. Each one takes an SD card. If i need to use recorded vid i just connect and download or pop card out to laptop.

aspeck

Staff member
i've got a friend with 17 trucks on the road and it has saved her plenty just in the last couple years. She showed us one where the car passed on a two lane, over double lines, then IMMEDIATELY short stopped to make her turn. Did not go well for her or her vehicle, she still sued anyway but it was a short case.
What pushed us over the edge was while running lights and sirens on a tanker a guy crossed the double yellow and hit the tanker head on. No one was injured, but $45,000 damage to the tanker. At scene he admitted to crossing line and striking the tanker. To his insurance company he said the tanker crossed the line and hit him. We were glad he admitted his wrong at the scene in the presence of the police.

That was about the 3rd incident we had in a week. Decided we needed the protection. Cameras are being installed next week.