Danforth Anchor Won't Set

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: Danforth Anchor Won't Set

I sure am glad yall set me straight,
I gonna sell my anchors and line, and buy 8oz surf sinkers,
if I rig 50 fisherman with them 25#'s that should hold me right? I wont need to anchor anymore
look at the money i am going to save after all these years buying samson braid, anchors, chain, and rigging, for my charter boat,
and I think I have a cinder block that should hold my little boat..........*captain *fish

thanks guy's

Happy Plowing

BillP

Captain

A 13lb Danforth on a 17' boat is more than slight overkill...but will make up for poor bottom and wrong scope errors (can we say operator error?).

Here's how capable 13S Danforths are when used in the right bottom with the correct scope: I cruised two yrs in the Bahamas using 13S Danforths on a 28'x 10K lb ketch with nylon rode and short chain. Never tied to a dock overnight the whole cruise. It rode out everything between tropical storm to Cat 1 hurricane winds on them without a problem. I had 22S Danforths for hurricanes and used 8S Danforths for kedges and lunch hooks...a 2.5lb was for the dink. I have plenty of examples with Danforths up to 40lbs on other sailboats (26'-42') but this reflects how much holding can be expected with a 13lb Danforth.

Compare that with a 2000lb 17' outboard day anchoring off the beach in fair weather and see how much overkill a 13 really is. In reality an 8lb/9lb Danforth is overkill and makes up for a lot of "operator error" for a 17'r in this situation.

I guess some people use 8oz fishing sinkers too .:}

B.

sdculp

Cadet

Thank you all for your suggestions and for sharing your experiences. I will definitely get a genuine Danforth this time!

Next Spring when I get my e-bay list together I will try to sell it, although considering that I only paid $25 or so for it and the postage will probably be half that it may not be worth the effort (especially if folks have been following this thread :) )

Stu Culp

Drrockter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jack the price, and tell them that it's been a conversation piece from people from all over the world. 8)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...........

It Otta be worth WAY More than a Madonna on a Burnt Toast....................d:)