Damaged lower DP-SM pinion.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
After replacing prop shaft seals and vac & pressure testing I was browsing the photos I had taken whilst re-assembling the lower end.

Below is a picture of my lower pinion showing a damaged tooth :eek: so the whole lot needs to be removed and a new pinion fitted. I had no idea that there was damage or how it has happened, any ideas?

Secondly anyone got any experience of replacing the pinion they would like to share on here please.

Attachments

• photo313837.jpg
    photo313837.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is a special VP puller to pull that gear off the vertical drive shaft. You should download a copy of the VP manual for the DP-SM outdrive. I don’t happen to have the url handy but you should be able to Google it. The gears supposedly are match fitted during manufacturing and sold as sets with the two prop shaft gears so you may have some trouble locating just the pinion. Sometimes though you may get lucky and be able to find one on eBay. Not sure how important it is that they are from the same set. You may also be able to take the current pinion to a machine shop where they specialize in repairing gears. They would probably fill the eroded areas with weld, regrind and reheat treat. Worth looking into.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks GeorgeDes I have the manuals etc, What I don't have are all the special tools, although I do have some ingenuity that can frequently create tools that work. As the unit is 20 years old and used in saltwater 7 months a year I think I might just have to buy a new lower gearcase.

​​​​​​​I think if I were to try and get things welded here in Spain I would be confronted with a lot of head shaking. Asking if hydraulic rams could be re-chromed had that effect previously. Ebay can only find a gear set in Belarus at $1000 more than here in Spain

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought I saw a 1.95 gear set on ebay for the DP-SM for about $US 800. As I recall it did not include the inner shaft but had the three gears. They show up from time to time so it may pay to check out often. Good luck with your set up.

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you have access to the US Ebay, I just was on there and saw several DP-SM gear sets as well as full lower units. Not sure what hear ratio your unit is but these were for 1.95 set up.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I drove down to the local Volvo Penta Main agent 2 days ago and explained that I wanted a new set of lower gears fitted to my lower gearcase having first told her that I had just renewed all the oil seals in it. The lady I spoke asked me to bring the boat in so they could get the mechanic to look at it. I had difficulty convincing her that I had the gear case off the outdrive and so did not need to tow the boat the 60 miles. Anyway they called back today and told me they might be able to fit my boat in in the middle of July!!

I have ordered a new complete gear case from the UK, for just a bit more than the quote to repair the old one.