Damage to keel

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Damage to keel

Hole in the keel is an understatement, that keel is structurely gone! Complete tear out and rebuild. I wouldn't know where to begin.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

So there is nothing I can do to just throw some fiberglass over damaged part and keep the water out?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The problem is not in getting it water tight, its that for what appears to be a long time water has been allowed (forced) into the area where the foam and stringers are, this typically results in water logged foam and/or rotten wood.

You need to inspect the foam to see if its holding water, if its not, then you may be fine, but water soaked foam means more work.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! How did someone let that get so bad?!

Assuming the foam isn't holding water and your stringers and deck aren't gone as a result of the hole, I think you may be able to fix it from the outside, so long as you recreate the original keep shape. That keel shape is important for steering and ride control.

If you want to just delay the rebuild of the stringers/deck, I'd just taper an area roughly 3" on each side of the keel and layer on 3-4 layers of CSM, then keep layering on 8-9 layers of 2" wide and progressively thinner CSM until the keel is relatively reformed. From there, grind away the excess until you have a keel which resembles a factory one. Once content with the shape, feather out the edges and roll and tip a layer of gelcoat onto it.

Correct? No, repair such as this should be from the inside. Will it work? As long as you don't go ramming more of what was originally rammed, yes.