damage to Bimini??

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey All!

Had Chaos out on the weekend and finally got to give her a push. at WOT we were doing 49mph. 1/2 meter waves and she handled quite well.

my question

I have front and back bimini, so the front one (when it is closed and wrapped up) angles forward while the back one angles back. Most people just have the back one. I am concerned that i am damaging my front bimini as it seems to take a fair bit of abuse because it is angled forward.
I will post a pic later to clarify

Opinions?

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: damage to Bimini??

I'd think if it was secured correctly and not bouncing around, it'd be okay. With the boot cover on so as not to have it flapping in the wind.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I run with my Bimini up at high speeds too. The trick is having it adjusted very tightly and watch it like a hawk. Those look like solid supports and then the front bow (bar) goes forward. What secures the front bow? Can you post a bigger picture?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it looks like the front of yours is high, scooping wind, i run mine with the front lower so the wind goes over it.

67sportcrafttrailer001.jpg

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I run with my Bimini up at high speeds too. The trick is having it adjusted very tightly and watch it like a hawk. Those look like solid supports and then the front bow (bar) goes forward. What secures the front bow? Can you post a bigger picture?

do you mean you leave the bimini out and open at high speeds? or wrapped up?

I will try to get a better pic if I am at the boat tonight / tommorow

here is a couple bigger ones
The bimini unzips in the middle above the windshield half then folds up forward and half folds back

Attachments

• Seaswirl 217 001 (2).JPG
    Seaswirl 217 001 (2).JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Seaswirl 217 009.JPG
    Seaswirl 217 009.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I run up and deployed, I have on the last 2 boats and have been over 50 into the wind with both, and I only have straps . . . Yours has solid supports so should be even better. The thumbnail picture is fine. Can you shorten the front supports at all? Need to make it very tight and as TD's post suggests, maybe slightly lower in front? I'd want to have to use my body weight on the front bow to connect the two bottom support points.

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool.. that makes me feel better. I thought I was going to wreck it while it was covered by the boot nevermind driving with the whole thing up!
I will look into shortening the front and change the angle a bit although that may leave the full enclosure a bit saggy at the front when its all zipped together.

Thanks for you input guys

Woodee

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, Woodee, a lot of guys run with them stowed, in the up position, on the trailer at over 75 MPH . . . I would not worry about that underway.

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have only had this boat a year but I always leave mine wrapped in the stowed pos. driving to the lake. So far its still fine. On this boat there is no where to put it so it is up or out of the boat which is not going to happen.