Daggone Cat!!

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Daggone Cat!!

I finally got it, Redwing is a shoe and you kick the cat.<br /><br />Oh...

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Drugs don't sound like a good solution, just good ol' negative reinforcement. Water bottle is good, ammonia would really get the point across. My cats would not stay out of the kitchen. They'd get on the countertops, in the cabinets, disposal, everything. They just did it behind my back so I fit them with Petsafe shock collars and set a transmitter under the sink. Worked like a charm and the cat's don't have to be confused about why I'm disciplining them.<br /><br />BTW one of my cats is a swatter too, he likes to set up ambushes and sneak attacks. It's aggressive play for him. I usually turn around and box with him for a while and I win by turning him on his back just to asert my dominance. If he gets too rough I don't hesitate to thump him good though, he knows the rules.

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is she spayed? That is sposed to calm animals down.<br />serenity

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> <br />I usually turn around and box with him for a while and I win by turning him on his back just to asert my dominance.
I understand that when a cat's on it's back, that is it's most effective battle position. It can then use all claws rather than just the front ones.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Yes it is.<br />I also have a cat that likes to "play" that way. He is now 13 years old and hasn't stopped yet.<br />Like said above, when it gets too rough, a quick thump tells them that. Watch kittens play with momma, that is how they play, and learn. When mom gets tired of it, she will give them a slap and put them in their place. I can playfight with mine (not declawed at all) and all I usually get is light scratches. I definitely know when I have made him mad though. He has left small bruises from his teeth. Most of the time, now, he doesn't even use his claws. It has to be learned. <br /><br />Plus he seems to really enjoy it. That is his game with me. He won't play it with anyone else. He "asks" first. He will sit at your feet and stare at you for a couple of minutes and give a playful nip when you try to pet him. If I say "No", he will not attack. If I move my hand to the "play" position. IT'S ON!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks everyone - I think I'm going to tame this beast, afterall. :) <br /><br />I've been strutting around the house like a cowboy today. My 6 shooter is the spray bottle I found under the sink loaded with lukewarm water which has been hanging on my jeans pocket. "That thar' varmint" (the cat) has been a perfect angel today. She must be intimidated by my purple 6 shooter! :) <br /><br />I'm really looking forward to her screwing up so I can unload on her... ugh..now I'm just being evil. :cool:

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

While a cat can fight while belly up they are practically paralized when gripped by the scruff of the neck. That's how I turn the cat over, grab the scruff and flip him over.<br /><br />Anyhow, the little guy just wants some of your attention most likely. LOL at the image of you walkin' around all bowlegged with a purple squirtgun!

fireman57

Captain

When I got married (llloooonnnggg aaggoo) My wife's cat ambushed me from behind when I was walking through the dining room and jumped on my head. I always wear a cap and it hit me with such force that my hat slid off my head. At the same time I grabbed for whatever it was and threw it as far as I could throw it. I didn't know at the time what it was. Well, it hit the wall and dropped to the floor and groggily got up and looked at me with it's eyes crossed then looked at my hat next to it. And teetered off to the kitchen. I now stays clear of me and all my hats. I guess it thought the hat cleaned it's plow. Still yells at me when it wants food though.

fireman57

Captain

Sorry got nailed by the flood protection. When I got married (llloooonnnggg aaggoo) My wife's cat ambushed me from behind when I was walking through the dining room and jumped on my head. I always wear a cap and it hit me with such force that my hat slid off my head. At the same time I grabbed for whatever it was and threw it as far as I could throw it. I didn't know at the time what it was. Well, it hit the wall and dropped to the floor and groggily got up and looked at me with it's eyes crossed then looked at my hat next to it. And teetered off to the kitchen. I now stays clear of me and all my hats. I guess it thought the hat cleaned it's plow. Still yells at me when it wants food though.

Realgun

Commander

When the cats in the attack position BEFORE it attacks clap your hands. Then walk on by. If it still attacks the best thinkg to do if possible is grab it by the scruff of the neck and hold it still for 5 seconds. then let go. it seems to work for me and i got two ornary cats.

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure to buy/use toys on strings and whatnot - if you ruffhouse with the cat, she/he/it will be more comfortable with attacking like that. Thats a bad habit a lot of people develop with little cats. It may be more fun to play rough but in the long run its a pain in the arse.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good advice everyone. I do clap before it attacks and if it does attack, I always try to get it by it's scruff but it's usually long gone and hiding under the table before I can get a hand on it.<br /><br />The vet said no more rough play, so we took all the toys away except for a few that it can play with on its own on the floor. She never touches them.<br /><br />She's been doing a little better since we got the water bottle out. She only got sprayed twice tonight.<br /><br />A few more weeks and I think she'll be too scared to not be calm all the time. :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

oh boy .. i don't know how I made it through reading all these posts without flipping out but i did .. I'm learning (slowly) that ... aww forget it..<br /><br />one of the best pieces of advice here.. it relates to/with ALL animals..<br /><br />
Originally posted by hadvisor:<br /> .... - if you ruffhouse with the cat, she/he/it will be more comfortable with attacking like that. Thats a bad habit a lot of people develop with little cats. It may be more fun to play rough but in the long run its a pain in the arse.
well said hadvisor.<br /><br /><br />on the other hand I want to say ...<br /><br />"SHOOT THE SOB!!" .. pardon me..<br /><br />but what in gods great earth are some of you folks thinkin' ?? omg :confused: <br /><br />I've read of an animal tearing up a $4000.00 patio door (screen) and the thing lives to see the sun rise. <br />also - hissing, scratching, swating, biting, being on the counters..<br /><br />Is this a pet?? I mean really..<br /><br /> I've "redwinged" my share of 'em but geesh .. drawing blood.. and .. <br /><br />n/m .. different strokes for different folks I guess.

LadyFish

Admiral

omg.gif
Y'all are bad.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey nothinbig,I wish I knew you before.My wife started catching wild kittens in our neighborhood.had them checked vac. and fixed.she brought them in till healed.we now have nine inside and she wont part with them.WHAT TO DO?<br />tALK ABOUT A "Cat House". dave :eek: :eek:

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Barlow - I half way agree with what you're saying.. I'm putting up with the thing to make my Fiancee happy. <br /><br />I wouldn't shoot the thing, but I'd give it back to the shelter...