daft question...maybe??

basher282

Cadet
Hi all!

i have been boating for over a year and still learning what is what but!

i have a 17ft cabin cruiser F.A.M.E Picton Domino for leisure/fishing but haven't a clue about "offshore"!

Is there a set distance from mainland to offshore?

I live in UK, Cumbria (Maryport) and as you can see on maps that there is land (Scotland) straight across from me.

If i traveled from maryport to Scotland,would i be classed as offshore at a distance to scotland from maryport??

Thank you in advance!
Gaz

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: daft question...maybe??

:welcome: Offshore is more of a concept or opinion than a hard fact. Being "offshore" usually refers to being miles out to sea and at least at bare minimum out of site of land. With a 17 foot boat going "offshore" might not be the safest thing to do.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

agreed. It's like "in the city" or "out in the country." Here, it usually means off the ocean beach rather than in the Chesapeake bay, although in given conditions the bay can be bigger and rougher than the ocean near the beach. "out of sight of land" is a good marker; I'd call ocean boating within sight as "near shore"

southkogs

Staff member

If I'm reading the map right, that run from Mayport up to Scotland would be a northern route across the Irish Sea, but more of a (very) large bay. If you can see both shores through the entire trip, I wouldn't consider it "offshore." But I might consider it "daft" to try it in a 17' ;) On a calm day it might be just fine, but if the weather snuck up on you it could get exciting in a hurry.

Know anyone around with experience making that run?

Welcome aboard!!

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I know that when I was standing on the northeast shore of County Antrim (Northern Ireland) that I could see Scotland (the Mull of Kintyre). I don't know if I would be comfortable crossing that in a smaller boat!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have known a fellow who used to take his 17 foot Whaler well offshore for fishing the canyons. BUT---A 17 foot Whaler is damn near unsinkable. Any regular hull would just be asking for trouble. However, this fellow only used it for one season, then stepped up to a larger Grady more suitable and comfortable for the offshore conditions.

So, not seeing your cruiser, I suppose it really depends upon the design of the boat and the size of your gogliones (Italian)

UncleWillie

Captain

The weather bureau arbitrarily calls 5 miles (8km) the Nearshore/Offshore line.

It looks like the trip you plan is about 15 miles (25km).
So you would be "Offshore" for a third of it.
At typical cruising speeds it should take less than an hour so you would always be within 30 minutes of shore.
A lot also depends on how long you plan on staying, before returning.
Out and back just to say you did it, is one thing.
Out in the morning and back in the evening, gives the weather a lot of time to chang its mind.

Take a trial run. Go out half way and come right back to see how confident you feel about being "Offshore."
On a day with a favorable forecast, I would be Daft enough to try it! :D

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Hi all!

i have been boating for over a year and still learning what is what but!

i have a 17ft cabin cruiser for leisure/fishing but havnt a clue about "offshore"!

Is there a set distance from mainland to offshore?

I live in UK, Cumbria (Maryport) and as you can see on maps that there is land (Scotland) straight across from me.

If i travelled from maryport to scotland,would i be classed as offshore at a distance to scotland from maryport??

Thank you in advance!
Gaz

In the States (US), one of the main concerns for "offshore" vs "inland" has to do with insurance. An "inland" policy is cheaper, if yoiu have an "inland" policy and venture "offshore" you probably are not covered under your policy.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I would be Daft enough to try it! :D

When I was in my early teens I had an 8 foot Perfectioncraft (looked like and fully as beefy as a whaler) with a lawn chair in it for a seat and a broom handle for a tiller extension on my '69 4hp Johnson to drive with. I once took it from Falmouth, MA over to the island of Martha's Vineyard and back. (about 10 miles round trip) The freeboard on it was only about 6 inches, so it looked like a lawn chair moving across the water. Sigh... I miss the days of being young and indestructible.:lol:

ask a local fisherman what the tide/current conditions are like. 15 miles may not sound alot but if you are having to run sideways to the tide then 15 miles can seem like a life time.

chriscraft254

Commander

I know nothing about your boat, or the waters and there conditions on a normal day in your area. A 17 foot boat can go out a long way if its the right boat, the right conditions and the right captain. Not sure why so many people think a 17 footer is small. ;) when I was young I took a 19 mako out 30 miles offshore but the boat and I could handle it.

If your reasonably new to offshore, get a buddy boat lined up to go with you the first couple times, someone with local knowledge of weather conditions, tides and knowledge of charted dangers etc. Pick your day and enjoy but do your research on what you will need if things get hairy. Safety gear, ditch bag etc etc etc

UncleWillie

Captain

I live in UK, Cumbria (Maryport) and as you can see on maps that there is land (Scotland) straight across from me. If i traveled from maryport to scotland,would i be classed as offshore at a distance to scotland from maryport??

Looking at Google Earth, Maryport has a nice looking harbor and marina.
Looking at the Scot side; Where is the intended destination?
I see a bunch of small towns with beaches but no official place to tie up. :confused:

basher282

Cadet

Sorry to take so long to reply been working away again. Below is my monster million pound fishing vessel that i just want to use to go up and down the coast with to do a bit of fishing and just cruising about.
I don't like taking risks going out of my comfort zone and just love boating!

f11.jpg

basher282

Cadet

If I'm reading the map right, that run from Mayport up to Scotland would be a northern route across the Irish Sea, but more of a (very) large bay. If you can see both shores through the entire trip, I wouldn't consider it "offshore." But I might consider it "daft" to try it in a 17' ;) On a calm day it might be just fine, but if the weather snuck up on you it could get exciting in a hurry.

Know anyone around with experience making that run?

Welcome aboard!!

Cheers southkogs, i know a couple of lads and one who i got the boat off has a 17ft yacht and sails across most of the time but he's a bit loose in the head sometimes with the things he does!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If your feet are wet your off shore, if your feet are dry your on shore! :facepalm: :)

basher282

Cadet

I have known a fellow who used to take his 17 foot Whaler well offshore for fishing the canyons. BUT---A 17 foot Whaler is damn near unsinkable. Any regular hull would just be asking for trouble. However, this fellow only used it for one season, then stepped up to a larger Grady more suitable and comfortable for the offshore conditions.

So, not seeing your cruiser, I suppose it really depends upon the design of the boat and the size of your gogliones (Italian)

Never thought to ask to be honest about everyone's opinion on my million pound vessel lol! but i suppose some 17ft'ers
are better then others at crossing or traveling bigger waters.

basher282

Cadet

The weather bureau arbitrarily calls 5 miles (8km) the Nearshore/Offshore line.

It looks like the trip you plan is about 15 miles (25km).
So you would be "Offshore" for a third of it.
At typical cruising speeds it should take less than an hour so you would always be within 30 minutes of shore.
A lot also depends on how long you plan on staying, before returning.
Out and back just to say you did it, is one thing.
Out in the morning and back in the evening, gives the weather a lot of time to chang its mind.

Take a trial run. Go out half way and come right back to see how confident you feel about being "Offshore."
On a day with a favorable forecast, I would be Daft enough to try it! :D

LOL! Sounds like a good plan really! i was going to go with a mate, I would go in mine and he would go in his rib which is bigger and faster.
I just wanted to experience the trip but like i mentioned before, I don't like to take big risks to be honest.
It would be a one off if i did it. Primarily i will be using the boat for fishing and cruising about.

basher282

Cadet

In the States (US), one of the main concerns for "offshore" vs "inland" has to do with insurance. An "inland" policy is cheaper, if yoiu have an "inland" policy and venture "offshore" you probably are not covered under your policy.

Thats what i was worried about because my insurance company (haven knox-johnstan) do not stipulate a distance for offshore ( there own words) but to be offshore my boat has to be CE marked. So if they don't stipulate a distance and i end up offshore and something happens, how do they and me know if my claim is valid? strange company!

basher282

Cadet

When I was in my early teens I had an 8 foot Perfectioncraft (looked like and fully as beefy as a whaler) with a lawn chair in it for a seat and a broom handle for a tiller extension on my '69 4hp Johnson to drive with. I once took it from Falmouth, MA over to the island of Martha's Vineyard and back. (about 10 miles round trip) The freeboard on it was only about 6 inches, so it looked like a lawn chair moving across the water. Sigh... I miss the days of being young and indestructible.:lol:

Haha! would love to have seen that!!!!

basher282

Cadet

I know nothing about your boat, or the waters and there conditions on a normal day in your area. A 17 foot boat can go out a long way if its the right boat, the right conditions and the right captain. Not sure why so many people think a 17 footer is small. ;) when I was young I took a 19 mako out 30 miles offshore but the boat and I could handle it.

If your reasonably new to offshore, get a buddy boat lined up to go with you the first couple times, someone with local knowledge of weather conditions, tides and knowledge of charted dangers etc. Pick your day and enjoy but do your research on what you will need if things get hairy. Safety gear, ditch bag etc etc etc

Will defo do my research as the weather can change fast here, looking at all the posts here im starting to doubt. i have no offshore experience at all and to be honest i don't think i would ever need to go far out all the time but its like should i try or not, just don't wont to be another new boater on the 9 o'clock news in trouble. thanks for the tips will have to get some mates involved by the looks of it