Dadizms

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Dadizms

"Don't come running to me if you fall off and break your leg"

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When we were growing up my dad's favorite saying was "Idle hands are the devils workshop". He could find more things for us to do than anyone else I have ever met.. I guess we all turned out ok.

Rickfifty

Seaman

"Slicker than hot snot on a wet doorknob". I don't think anything could be slicker...

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Heres a few I used to hear often;<br /><br />Kwit shakin the dam boat, I cant get the wrench on the bolt with it jumpin all around.<br /><br />Yea, you can help.... by stayin out of the way. :rolleyes: <br /><br />The next time I tell ya, will be with a belt. :eek:

Homerr

Commander

One I tell my daughters:<br /><br />"If you bring a boy home with earring's in his ears, he better be wearing a dress"<br /><br /><br />Another I heard somewhere:<br />I'll whoop ya so hard, that my grandchildren will feel it!<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />H.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Keep naggin at me boy and i'll give ya five ya can't spend.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

"Your Mom says you need to be punished. Consider it done and don't tell her what it was".<br />My dad was a softie. Mom was a mean ol' gal who would straighten us up when we needed it. When she was at her wits end with us she always said "Your father will take care of this when he gets home" Those were the sweetest words my brothers and I could hear.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

When my two sons were teenagers, they were't bad exactly... The Police never had to bring them home or anything,,,,, but----- they weren't angels either.<br /><br />I remember telling them things like,<br /><br />"You do that again, and we'll just throw your chair at the dining table away. Becasue after the whipping, you won't have any a$$$ left to put in it anyway".<br /><br />"For Christmas this year, the only thing you'll get is a belt with your name on the back of it. That way, if you ever get your head out of your 'transom',,,,, you'll be able to remember your name".<br /><br /><br />........<br /><br />My all time favorite is what a buddy of mine's Dad told us one time.<br /><br />His Dad didn't say 4 words a day on the average. But what he said, was usually rather profound.<br /><br />One day, I was home on leave from the Marine Corps, and met up with with my childhood buddy after he got off work on a Friday. <br /><br />We'd cruised around until pretty late---- seeing the sights in a few topless bars. Then we swung by his parents house to pick up his Shotgun for some early morning bird hunting.<br /><br />His Dad was still up, and greeted us. Then when he realized we were drunk, and carrying out a few rifles, shotguns, a .Colt 45, and about 20 pounds of ammunition, ,,,,,,<br /><br />He told us, "You boys be careful out there. Yaw'al ain't got just a whole lot of sense between ya".<br /><br />That was in 1974. His Dad is long gone,,, but I still remember that moment, and chuckle about it at least once a week.<br /><br />..<br /><br />One time, back in the late 90's, we were out on his 26' steel hulled Chris Craft, in the middle of the 'woods & stumps' on Lake Whitney late at night, we'd had a couple of beers after 'Bible Class',,, I think the sermon was from the Book of MILLER!!,,<br /><br />Then, one of those Tornado generating Texas Summer Storms blew in on us, and it took about 15 seconds to realize we were in some deep 'do-do'.<br /><br />He cranked the boat up, and was driving. I was peering over the Bow with a 2 'D' cell flashlite watching for stumps, and hollering turn directions over the storm......<br /><br />We wound our way through the stumps, and finally got into clear deep water about 3 AM. <br /><br />But, I didn't tell him that,,, I just tossed out the anchor with aobut 300' of rope & chain, went back though the cabin--- reached up, turned off & took out the key.... then turned around and jumped in a bunk and went to sleep. <br /><br />The next day,,,,, he told me,, "You know... It was funny then, but my Dad might have been right us".

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

When my dad said " OK go ahead....DO IT " I wouldn't think about doing it. In combination with "The Glare" of course :D Worked perfectly on my own kids too.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I have taught all my kids:<br /><br />"whatever you do, don't let your schooling get in the way of your education"<br /><br />heard it years ago, and although it seemed appropriate then, the way our education system is turning out educated idiots now, I believe it is even more appropriate.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Homerr

Commander

Oh... I finally remembered one my Dad used to say...<br /><br />"FRONT AND CENTER" !!!!!<br /><br /><br />That of course... was quickly followed up with his belt. :eek: <br /><br />I got lucky. My kids turned out pretty well.<br />I too use the silent 'glare' method. Works good.<br />I get compliments all the time how well behaved my kids are, especially in places like a restaurant, department store, etc... My kids AREN'T the ones running around like little banshees with the parents looking at them and saying, "oh how cute" :mad: <br />(Boy I really wish I could slap the bejesus out of these parents who have no control over their kids)<br /><br /><br />H.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Homerr, that 1000 yard glare will get them every time!<br /><br />One time the 'old man' had been working me pretty dern hard that day. He mentioned that we still had time to finish up another little project he had going. I told him , "Dang Dad, I am wore out", to which he replied, "H*ll when I was your age I could jump on top of the house flatfooted!" I said yeah but you hadn't been following YOU around all day!<br />He thought about it a second and laughed and we called it a day. Oh to be young again! :)

Homerr

Commander

Did your Dad ever do this one when you had a whoopin' comin':<br /><br />"Go out and find the biggest stick you can find"<br /><br />Of course, I'd bring back a little twig... And as usual, he'd make that twig hurt like no other!<br /><br /><br />H.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The world is full of morons, and I dont want you to add to them.<br /><br />Ken

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

My dad would tell me "When I want your opinion, I'll tell you what it is"

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

My Pop didn't say much....he's just straight and to the point. On those occasions when I was the recieving end of the belt, it was just..."go to the back room". <br /><br />He really would crack me up sometimes and still does. When I first started into the powerhouse work, he was maint super at the local small town powerhouse. I got hired there right after highschool. And for the next 21 years,'cept for military duty, I got the honor of working with, around and early on, for my Pop. And I can truly say, that the most difficult job I have ever had was working FOR my Pop. I would finish a job and he'd come look at it....."Lemme show ya' how ta' do that better"....no matter what the job was....LOL!!! Don't think I'd trade those days for nothing..... :)