Dade county gets $21+million from FEMA.. why?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Anyone on these boards from Dade county?? Please reply and explain to us why FEMA has granted 21million$$$ to 19,500 residents in Dade county for damages from hurricane Frances... <br /><br />I believe the winds in Dade topped out at 45mph gusts durring frances.. Thats like an afternoon thunderstorm.. Not unusual at all..<br /><br />Me thinks something very suspitious is going on in Dade...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Dade county gets $21+million from FEMA.. why?

It's an election year!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

FEMA is another government hand-out program, the working of which, outstreched hands have mastered.<br />Many Miamians were there for Hurricane Andrew, and learned how to get free generators from FEMA, from those who lost power back then. I would not be at all suprised if that guy with all the question marks on his suit (something Lesko), had an entire chapter in his "ripoff the government" book on how to use this entitlement program.<br />After Charley, we lost power. I had ordered a generator when the thing first turned into a cat1 storm,-- because my 30 year old trusty rusty 2K briggs Brush generator threw a rod -- but did not recieve it until a day after the storm. Thank God. Anyhow, I called FEMA the day I learned (from a radio news program) that they would re-emburse for generators and chain saws needed in the aftermath of a hurricane. I was expecting a low-interest loan to offest the cost, or a partial rebate. About a week later, the rerpresentative from FEMA knocked on my door. He had one of those first-genration government PDA's and a briefcase.<br />He wanted to see every room in the house (?didn't ask why, just assumed he was looking for damage.) <br />He asked for the reciept for the generator.<br />He then axed a jillion questions about power outage duration, gallons of fuel used in the generator, number of square feet in the home, cars I owened, other properties yadayada.....<br />Then, he procedes to tell me, they also pay for fuel used. And not just part of the cost, ALL of the cost!!!! Up to a set dollar amount, the WHOLE BILL!<br />I was also mailed a low-interest home-repair loan app a week later, allong with the check.<br />Yes, I'm complaining at the same time I am benifitting, but this program needs some giant holes plugged in it. <br />But it's not easy to trick the system, and the consequences of such an attempt is a ferderal felony offense (from what the documentation states).<br />You can't just call and say "I want a generator for an approaching storm". You have to be able to document 'present need' (power outage,easily confirmed by power provider, ect)...<br />But it's still not foolproof, and many fools proove it.<br />Miami's area was mostly system abuse,as you wewre quick to point out. And they know how to werk the program just as some folks learned how to play the Wellfare office.<br />Around this area, abuse is a much lower percentage, because the storms turned us into a desaster area,and not many of the residents knew how to play the "FEMA ripoff game". <br />But I suspect they do now.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

They must like helping hurricane victims more than flood victims. My parent's home flooded this summer and FEMA was called to the area. Wouldn't give any grants if you were even partially insured (meaning had some insurance but not enough to cover the damage), and very tight with loans. The intrest rates weren't any better than HELOC loans.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yes it is, Pointer.. It is indeeeeed!!!! ;) <br /><br />Re-embursement for Generators.. Why does FEMA pay for generators and fuel??? I'm sorry, but electric, in most cases, is NOT a necessity....(i know, 13 days without electric after F.)<br /><br />I don't mean to be questioning you, insulting, or insinuating anything, 12Footer :) , but if I went and bought a generator (and fuel) I would not accept having the government pay for it.. I can understand low interest loans for repairing a home, and all that jazz, but the government paying for gen's and fuel is flat out wrong...<br /><br />I'm beginning to view FEMA as a sick joke.. People who don't have a roof overhead and need/needed assistance had to jump thru all kinds of hoops to get help....<br /><br />I'd be willing to bet real $$$$$ that of the 19,500+ claims in Dade, most are FRAUD!!!!!!<br /><br />Disgusting.. :mad:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Yes it is, Pointer.. It is indeeeeed!!!! ;) <br /><br />Re-embursement for Generators.. Why does FEMA pay for generators and fuel??? I'm sorry, but electric, in most cases, is NOT a necessity....(i know, 13 days without electric after F.)<br /><br />I don't mean to be questioning you, insulting, or insinuating anything, 12Footer :) , but if I went and bought a generator (and fuel) I would not accept having the government pay for it.. I can understand low interest loans for repairing a home, and all that jazz, but the government paying for gen's and fuel is flat out wrong...<br /><br />I'm beginning to view FEMA as a sick joke.. People who don't have a roof overhead and need/needed assistance had to jump thru all kinds of hoops to get help....<br /><br />I'd be willing to bet real $$$$$ that of the 19,500+ claims in Dade, most are FRAUD!!!!!!<br /><br />Disgusting.. :mad:
It's ok,Snapperbait, I understand how you feel. And I agree. I expected a low interest loan,. because 1000buks don't grow on trees, it was in between paychecks, and unfortunately, electricity IS a nessesity. I was not prepaired to plunk it down, but I did, regardless of FEMA. I didn't even know of thier assistance program at the time-- I just had to have electricity. It's not a life-threatening thing, but close to it. The bummer is, I HAD a genrator that I relied upon for years, that cost me more than this one did.It threw a rod just before the season got going good.<br /><br />To find out what FEMA actually paid was a shock...A pleeasant shock at the time,but a shock nontheless.<br />And if you think FEMA is a total sham, you havent lived thru one hurricane, flood, or other nieghborhood-removing natural event.<br />There are still people without homes here. thousands of them!<br />FEMA is now trying to find places to setup mobile temp homes.They have a thousand of them, but no place to set them up. The first ones since the storms went in Monday. I guess what I'm trying to say is, your opinion of FEMA is a matter of perspective. Ask me, I'm gratefull. Ask the lady who just got into a temporay home, she is gratefull. Ask the guy in Oregon, he is insensed (sp). Ask the guy in Miami, and he is planning a free generator.

woodrat

Ensign

Wasn't there a time in this country, when people would take care of themselves and each other after a natural disaster? And having lived with little to no electricity for 5 years, I don't get how a generator is an essential. I can see it if you lived up north and needed electricity to make the fan on your furnace go round, but florida in september? I guess it would be a bummer if you had a freezer full of food, but still not an emergency. More taxpayer funded largesse...<br /><br />When I lived in the sticks in Northern Cal ,we had a whopper of a winter storm that took out roads all over the back country. The bridge down in the canyon below me was blown out and stranded 12 families on the other side. A footbridge was constructed before the following day was out, and a neighbor with a dozer put in a ford as soon as the waters receded a bit. FEMA was out about a week or two later, lost several miles up the wrong road, and with no help to offer whatsoever.