Dad-gummit!! NBC News bias.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dad-gummit!! NBC News bias.

Hmmm. Seems to me that Pakistan is doing what is good for Pakistan. That is proper.<br /><br />To the extent that the enemy of our enemy is our friend, Pakistan is our friend. Our differences do not make Pakistan our enemy.<br /><br />It would be naive to suggest that Pakistan "toe the US policy line" in order to cooperate in the war on terror.

Skinnywater

Commander

As long as your able to recognize it JB. Bias, spin, disinformation and propaganda are used on all sides.<br />There are many who only see in opposing view, yet embrace it from thier platform.<br />I notice when you point out the spin from all sides, that particular truth is questioned. And as one gets better at recognizing spin, the more paranoid one might appear. <br /><br />Most accept thier own brand of spin because it's a safe place to be. The status quo has given them material possessions at the expense of principals. Others prefer the safety in numbers, and some are just plain gullible.<br /><br />You can usually recognize the people who are intently aware of propaganda. The passive ones stay quiet and disconnect from the mess. Others gather with more of thier kind and get labeled as radicals and parnoids. A few just prefer to become a pain in the tail to those in denial and point it all out. ;) <br /><br />Keep a zero bubble JB.

Ralph 123

Captain

You are so right PW - It is all our fault! We did it. We are getting what we deserve. We are so evil and two-faced we should be destroyed. Beat us, whip us, kill us, we've earned it. America is the root of all evil. Feel good now?<br /><br />As soon as they post the transcript for Friday's show, I'll C&P and people can decide if I mischaracterized it.

18rabbit

Captain

Fwiw, there are no longer any reliable news sources that are not internet based. About 4-years ago, the national organization of news publishers had their annual meeting in San Francisco. The topic of the keynote speaker’s address was the challenge all the news agencies were having with internet based news. The reason for the challenge was stated as accuracy in reporting. She put it bluntly, the bias of traditional news sources had reached a level that was no longer acceptable to general public and the public knew it, too! Since then, nothing has changed.<br /><br />If you want accurate, in-depth news you can only get it from internet sources. Personally, I think this scares major political figures…the ability to quickly obtain accurate information from multiple sources. You are now in a position to know about any given subject then your elected Senator and their corruption is quickly exposed…not that we do anything about it… :confused: <br /><br />There are a couple of major watchdog groups that monitor and rate major media news sources on their accuracy. None of the news sources are worth the time to read. Also, as of a couple years ago, the U.S. ranks about 11th in the world (compared to all countries) for freedom of the press. :(

Ralph 123

Captain

As Promised:<br /><br />
DAVID SHUSTER, NBC NEWS CORRESPONDENT: Ambassador Bremer, first of all, thank you for joining us from Baghdad. <br /><br />PAUL BREMER, U.S. ADMINISTRATOR IN IRAQ: Good to be with you. <br /><br />SHUSTER: Ambassador Bremer, the last couple of days, eight U.S. soldiers were wounded in a mortar attack in Fallujah, three people killed when a man fired at a bus carrying employees of a U.S. funded radio and television station, seven people killed in that bombing in the Mount Lebanon Hotel. <br /><br />What‘s going on here? <br /><br />BREMER: Well, we‘re seeing the continuation of the efforts by the people who are against the new democratic Iraq to kill people. <br /><br />They want to kill coalition forces, and they want to kill innocent Iraqis. They have it in their mind that by doing this they‘re going to stop the progress towards the democratic freedoms here and they‘re wrong. It‘s not going to...<br /><br />SHUSTER: But do you describe them as terrorists or just Iraqis that are humiliated by the fact that their country is being occupied? <br /><br />BREMER: No. These are trained killers from the old Saddam regime, <br /><br />the Fedayeen Saddam, the members of the intelligence services, some of the <br /><br />· perhaps some of the people from the Army. <br /><br />We also have a very serious problem here. The attack on the hotel you mentioned was a suicide attack, almost certainly not by an Iraqi, almost certainly by a trained terrorist from outside the country. And that‘s our second threat. And that‘s—that is a serious threat. <br /><br />SHUSTER: I do want to ask you, though, about the description of some of these attacks on U.S. soldiers. On your coalition provisional authority web site and press releases and briefings, your staff consistently refers to these things as engagements. In other words, one web site describes 21 such engagements on Tuesday. Why not just describe these as attacks? <br /><br />BREMER: No, because in at least half of the times—I don‘t know what the percentage was on Tuesday. But overall, in at least half or more of the occasions, we actually initiate the engagements. We go after somebody, where we‘ve got intelligence or some suspicions, and we go after them. They‘re not attacks on us. <br /><br />SHUSTER: But the other half, though, are attacks on U.S. soldiers, aren‘t they? <br /><br />BREMER: Well, you know, you‘d have to sit and look at the 20 engagements you‘re talking about to do a careful analysis of them. We do have people attacking our soldiers, yes. That‘s pretty obvious. <br /><br />SHUSTER: OK. This week you talked about the problem with the borders, and you said that foreign terrorists are present in Iraq and in order to try to cut down on this you said that you‘re going to double equipment and staff on 20 major border crossing points. <br /><br />But isn‘t it true, ambassador, that there are actually hundreds of minor border crossing points into Iraq? <br /><br />BREMER: Well, sure there are. And is that a reason not to do anything at the major border crossing points? <br /><br />SHUSTER: Well, I mean, I guess the question is if you can somehow shut down people from going through or have better security at these major border crossing points, I mean, is there nothing that can be done, then, about these minor border crossing points? In other words, is this just window dressing? <br /><br />BREMER: Oh, no, it‘s not window dressing, no. It will have an effect. But here‘s something to keep in mind. The combined borders of Iraq are about as long as the border between the United States and Mexico, and topographically much more complicated, especially in the north, where it‘s very heavy mountains. <br /><br />We know how difficult it has been to close off our border with Mexico. There is no magic solution to this. You just have to start. You start by working with the major border crossings. You put sensors and other kinds of intelligence-gathering equipment between the borders, and you try to do the best you can. <br /><br />But just as we‘ve had trouble sealing off our 5,000-kilometer border in the United States, it‘s going to be difficult here. <br /><br />SHUSTER: And you may have trouble with folks like Ahmed Chalabi, right? Because after June 30, this isn‘t even your decision. He‘s been quoted as saying that he‘s inclined to roll back your border changes and reopen the major border crossings after June 30. <br /><br />BREMER: Well, after June 30 we‘ll have an interim government here. It will be a different government than what is there now, because by the terms of the interim constitution that was signed 10 days ago, the governing council on which Mr. Chalabi serves will be dissolved. <br /><br />So there will be a different government here. They will be sovereign. They will, however, be cooperating, I think, very strongly with the coalition forces that are still here about security. I don‘t think their attention to security is likely to drop at all after June 30. <br /><br />SHUSTER: Speaking of June 30, you were quoted in “The New York Times” as warning Iraqi leaders that they risk isolating themselves if they snubbed the United Nations. <br /><br />Are we now to believe that you personally believe it was wrong for the United States to snub the United Nations and go into Iraq alone? <br /><br />BREMER: No. There‘s no comparable ability whatsoever, and we didn‘t snub the United Nations. On the contrary, it was Saddam Hussein who snubbed the United Nations. <br /><br />SHUSTER: But we snubbed the United Nations by going in...<br /><br />BREMER: Excuse me, excuse me. Excuse me. Let me finish my answer. <br /><br />Saddam Hussein snubbed the United Nations by ignoring 17 consecutive Security Council resolutions. President Bush went to the United Nations. He didn‘t snub them. <br /><br />He gave a speech on September 12 where he said, “I‘m willing to go back to the United Nations and seek a resolution.” He got a unanimous resolution, a unanimous resolution, 1441. All 15 members of the Security Council approved it. We did not snub the United Nations. <br /><br />SHUSTER: Would the United States support an Islamic state, if that is in fact what the Iraqis decide they want? <br /><br />BREMER: I think it‘s a very hypothetical question and extremely unlikely. I‘ve been looking at polls now since September, when we first started polling, and we‘re polling very frequently now, more than every—more than twice a month. <br /><br />And I‘ve seen no poll, no reliable poll that puts the support for an Islamic theocracy at higher than 10 percent. I think it‘s very unlikely to happen. <br /><br />SHUSTER: So it‘s your expectation, then, that it will be a democracy of some fashion? <br /><br />BREMER: The Iraqi people, who are delighted that we freed them, are now thirsting for democracy. We see it all over this country every day. <br /><br />We have held literally hundreds of town hall meetings in the last 60 days. We‘ve had focus group meetings. We‘ve had meetings of lawyers‘ associations, women‘s associations all across the country. And the one thing that they all agree on is they want democracy. <br /><br />(END VIDEOTAPE)<br /><br />MATTHEWS: That was David Shuster interviewing Paul Bremer. Former Clinton secretary of state, Madeleine Albright, chaired the group that worked on that poll. We‘re going to talk about that poll in a moment.<br /><br />Thank you for joining us, Madam Secretary. <br /><br />Did you learn anything from that—that‘s kind of a feisty interview between David Shuster and Paul Bremer. He doesn‘t seem to like tough questioning that much. <br /><br />
Just imagine what they edited out.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So just exactly how did you get that I think it is all Americas fault???<br />Do you deny that America and its politicians have made mistakes over the years, and sometimes armed our enemies that we had to deal with later? I am only suggesting that we proceed with caution, and try to avoid the same mistakes we have made in the past. That's why history is a good thing to study. If you think that means I think it is "all Americas fault" that's your right, I suppose. It is an attitude that is bound to produce the same problems as always, but so it goes.<br />As far as Pakistan looking out for Pakistan, of course they do. That is why this all takes careful diplomacy, as it is important, wherever possible, to align as much as possible Pakistan's goals with out own. Is it easy? Of course not, and it is of course a principal reason I am for someone other than Bush and his team, as I think they lack the ability to be as diplomatic as is needed.<br /><br />As far as the Shuster interview, what's the problem with it? Bremer is taking the party line, and Shuster is questioning that party line. Isn't that what he is supposed to do? And who really thinks this transition to Iraqi rule on July 1 is even remotely possible? Without serious long lasting problems, at least.<br /><br />And time will tell whether "democracy" takes root in Iraq. Personally, I see absolutely no chance of it, and I truly hope I am wrong. I think the administration has listened to Chalabi way too much, and given what he has said way too much credibility. Time will tell.<br /><br />And no, I have no idea what a good solution would be, or how to achieve it. I am not at all sure there is a good solution to this, other than the rose colored glasses one offered by the administration, which, when it fails, will of course be someone else's fault.<br /><br />Which is the precise reason I have been against this action from the very start for these very reasons.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ok plywoody we hear alot of what you wouldnt have done if you were in charge how about telling us what you would have done when it comes to 9/11, mid-east, and Isreal and palistine.I can hear it now.........LET THE U.N. HANDLE IT :mad: . If we fail miserably in Iraq at least our prez. had the gumption to try. The left wing media in this country does nothing but divide us and it seems that is exzactly what some "Americans" want. :mad: :mad:

Bondo

Staff member

Do you deny that America and its politicians have made mistakes over the years,that we had to deal with later?
Absolutely......................<br />Most of them were Between 1992, and 2000................... :D

SCO

Lieutenant

We, the USA, have a much greater chance of solving this problem than the UN as viewed from a historical perspective. If we are going to use history as a guide, then the UN is worthless. So, why go with the UN? Their best interests are not ours, and that Kerry would throw our security to them is outrageous. The founding fathers, all of them , would roll over in their graves. This should be shocking to all.

Carphunter

Commander

Some of the typical responses from the typical people. Everything is the Bush administration's fault. :confused: <br />C'mon Plywoody, would you really like to have Gore in office now? I sure hope not.<br /><br />Democracy takes time. What we are talking about here is a country that has known nothing but an evil dictatorship. These people must be educated as to how a democracy works, and the benefits. The evil dictatorship is gone now thanks to the United States. These people will now have opportunities that they only dreamed of before. How is that a bad thing?<br />Should we not try to help these people understand what a Democracy is all about, and help them try to achieve it? Were not pushing a dictatorship here, we are pushing Democracy, where the people get to choose how they live and who their leaders will be. I think thats a good thing.<br /><br />Many people criticize this administration, yet they cannot produce solutions to the problems this administration has had to deal with. Don't be critical, unless you have a solution. This is why I despise the many liberals in this country. They can sure punch holes in the Bush administration's policies, but please don't ask them for solutions of their own. :rolleyes: Makes me sick!<br /><br />The liberal bias demonstrated by the media is not suprising. This will always happen. They have an opportunity to report the news without dealing out their liberal BS, but they just can't resist.<br />Its a shame, and the exact reason I avoid many T.V. stations and newspapers.<br /><br />Just report the news, and save your personal beliefs for the proper forum.