cutting prop down

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello -I have a 1960 16' alumn V that I would describe as on the heavy side for this type-'62 28 horse Johnson motor.the motor seems to be running well but dosent seem to rev out as I expected-seems like timing isnt advanced(though it seems to be at spec in checking synch)-kind of flat. so,being new to all this,there is a good chance that I am just realizing this is all my motor has,but I'm trying to eliminate possible issues. this said, on to my question...the factory brochure for the motor lists the prop as being aluminum 3 blade,10 1/4 diam 12 1/2 pitch. what has been installed at some point is a brass 4 blade-seems to be the right diam. stamped in it are michigan AMC 464. I did write michigan wheel an e mail but was hoping someone here might have referance handy,or advice as to wether or not say the wrong pitch(if so),the 4 blades or heavier brass could be an issue. Steve
NEW QUESTION-I spoke to a helpful guy at a prop shop on the telephone who said my brass prop was for my motor but geared towards skiers,lower end,etc. and said the old brass props were not very efficent.I believe he said the pitch on it was 11-he recommended going to 9" diameter with the same pitch in a 3 blade aluminum prop.I cant afford a new prop now,but I am an experienced metal worker and could cut down this old brass one to the smaller diameter- wouldnt this acheive similar results in getting RPMS up? Steve

Last edited:

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: cutting prop down

I forgot to mention that I found one blade bent about 1/4" in-I straightened it to match the others-how much would this alone affect performance?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Wanna sell it? They're pretty rare and too much blade area for a 28. eBay it and get the right prop, but 9 sounds a bit low to me. A prop shop can repitch it lower. I'd leave diameter alone.

Bronze is far more efficient than aluminum. I have no idea where that statement came from.

I have one too on a 25 Sea King that'll pull me up on slalom (11' boat). I don't know the pitch.

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'd sell it,but after I got the one that I need.the guy didnt say brass in itself was inefficent,but rather the old design .how much would a shop charge to change the pitch to something more suitable- would this fix me up,or would I still be needing to get the 3 blade?

6228SH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

for what it's worth,I'm told my boat is a runabout and not simply a v bottom.also was advised to try raising the trim a notch or two-the theory behind doing that sounds reasonable but I am very open to input/advice.