Cutting pexiglass for windshield

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have any tips for cutting pexiglass to minimize risk of cracking it?<br />It's for a boat windshield and will be cutting curves as well as straight lines.<br />Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cutting pexiglass for windshield

a very fine tooth, thin sabre saw blade is what i cut my lexan with.

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may want to try an abrasive blade for ceramic tile. The blade fits a hacksaw. Only will work if you are cutting near the edge of the sheet, tho.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try a router with a cutting bit. A guide for straight line helps. Works great for plexi.

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice

I have a router and a dremel also.<br />Would it be the spiral cutting bit you're talking about?<br />Thanks for the help.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

If you are cutting straight lines use a table saw, for curved lines use the band saw or jig saw. Plixiglass melts real fast and rotary tools create heat so tho they may do the job, it take practice to do well, or elaborate patterns. Chief

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Whatever you use cut your piece slightly oversize and use a belt sander to ease the edges down to the shape and dimension you want.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

When I cut my windshield from Polycarbonate, I used a jigsaw with fine tooth blade (18 or 24 tpi). Also be sure that the material is secured well so that it doesn't vibrate and jump around. I put masking tape over the area to cut even though it had protective plastic film because a marker pen wrote on the masking tape better than the film, and the extra layer of tape gave an extra measure of safety against scratching the windshield.

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

just go slow, so not to melt it

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Using a router worked good for me, but I had to go slowly because of the heat build up. A wooden guide strip clamped to the table and glass helped cut where I intended.

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer

However way you decide to cut it, try to have a big squirt bottle of water handy, and have someone squrt water on the cutting tool and plexiglass as you are cutting it. It will keep the cutting tool stay cool, and will prevent clogging of melted plexiglass to the cutting tool by washing away the plastic chips you make. If the tool becomes clogged, you can break the tool, and could crack the plexiglass. And be careful just to keep the water on the tool, and plexiglass. Remember Electric motors, and water don't mix!!