cutting paint

RyBisp

Cadet
I am priming and paint my 16ft lowe aluminum boat and i need to know how much thinner to cut the paint with if any. I am new to this. I have completed the gluv-it epoxy step, by the way thanx for all the help there. Its all prep-ed for primer and paint now. I am using a pneumatic paint sprayer with a filter,dryer,regulator inline. The primer is the Ace brand primer, "rust stop" for use on all metal surfaces, the Paint will be the Ace brand as well or perhaps rustoleum. Thanks in Advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: cutting paint

When using a Spray Gun,........ Thin the paint, Only Enough to get a Good Spray Pattern..........

Btw,...... You should be using Both Primer,+ Paint from 1 Manufacturer,.........
That keeps things Simple, as Sometimes Different Paints from Different Manufacturers Aren't Compatable......
And,......
You Won't Know that til it's Tooo Late.........

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: cutting paint

It all depends on the paint, follow the directions for thinning that are supplied with it. Make sure the primer works on aluminum, aluminum needs special types of primers and sometimes "works on all metals" doesn't include aluminum.