FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I am going to be adding some gauges and rod holders on my boat. What is the best way to cut the holes. I was planning on using a electric drill and a hole saw drill bit. Should I start drilling at a high speed or low speed. Thanks
I have used a hole saw bit for the same thing.Make sure you use a high speed drill.the higher the speed the easier and cleaner it will go.I used masking tape on the gelcoat side.Let the drill do the work,dont push on it.Charlie
You'll need Bi-Metal type hole saws, there the only ones that'll last for more than one time use... With the cheap hole saws, the teeth will be eat up after the first cut you make...
This site is amazing I have always wondered how to stop the gel coat from chipping when drilling, but have just never taken the time to ask, Brilliant... tape.... would have never even guessed. Hopefully I can be of assistance one day