Cut Holes for Improving Engine Access

jeb6294

Seaman
Just got the boat a few months ago so this is my first time winterizing and changing the oil. Like so many things, whoever designed this thing put no thought into maintenance. The engine cover flips up but the bottom half is carpeted plywood making it a giant PITA to get to the bottom of the motor. Wondering if it’d be awful to get a hole saw and drill a hole through the side of the engine box to be able to reach the oil filter. The hole would be hidden by the seat and the seat is freestanding so the plywood isn’t holding anything up. Asked my FIL about it the other day (we got it from them) and he always did the maintenance and his arms are shorter then mine so I’m still going to see if I can reach it from the front before I do anything.
DDAE7340-E004-4609-A43F-3B20FAE1B493.jpeg3EF0AD93-42DF-4A2B-9643-B7C73F6AECAE.jpeg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bet its only 2-3 screws to take that bulkhead out of there

Alumarine

Captain
Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to go the hole saw route.
You might be able to use the plug to cover the hole.

If you used a jig saw and cut a square or rectangular hole you might be able to put a hinge on it and use it as a cover.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... When I rebuild an old boat, the 1st thing I design is an easy way to get to the motor,.....
On yer boat, I'd figure out how to easily remove the lower part of the motor box, 'n seat bottoms,....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My I/Os had a removable engine cover...top, sides and front, that just slipped in place, weighed about 50#, easily removed, or just tilted forward out of the way. Hinged front would work for the above if you wanted to secure it. If seats are in the way (driver and shotgun) with a couple of hinges in the front, just rest the cover on the seats, tilted out of the way.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Or just install some quick hasps to the lower cover, unclip and remove instead of taking screws out or drilling holes.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
agreed there are ways to make these panels easily removable, that or install a remote oil filter mount. I used long screws with wing nuts, and cut the big heavy bulkhead in half and hinged it with a take apart hinge. Much easier and don't have to drill holes in the wood deck.

88 FW engine bulkheads.jpg
winterize 015.JPG

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I'm lucky not having a dog house type setup. Mine is the full rear bench seat with the huge sun pad lid for the engine bay.
Inside there's a wooden piece on either side of the engine like yours, but mine are are not carpeted and removable by pulling a few screws.

Perhaps you can separate those side pieces and remount them in a way that they are easily removed when needed. Maybe some angle brackets or wooden slots or tracks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in my boat, the dog house and section of floor are removable as one. kind of heavy, however give me service access

Next boat will have powered bilge access.

0106201924_resized.jpg0209201705_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 0209201705_resized.jpg
    0209201705_resized.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1

jeb6294

Seaman
Welp, I am happy to say that you guys were absolutely right. I could have sworn I looked at the engine cover and saw that it was all one piece, but I checked again and it is not. The top half tilts forward but the wooden bottom isn’t actually connected to anything so moves right out of the way. Winterizing/oil changes just got infinitely easier. Thank you….
EF369021-D648-4E9A-9BEB-26723F222235.jpeg

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Welp, I am happy to say that you guys were absolutely right. I could have sworn I looked at the engine cover and saw that it was all one piece, but I checked again and it is not. The top half tilts forward but the wooden bottom isn’t actually connected to anything so moves right out of the way. Winterizing/oil changes just got infinitely easier. Thank you….
View attachment 351739
Another happy conclusion.
Glad it all worked out.