Cummins mercruiser 1.7l 120hp parts and help

Batt51

Recruit
I have twin 1.7l turbo diesel inboard engines with mercruiser outdrive.
The engines are 2006 models (4ee2) Isuzu turbo diesels.
1. I can’t find parts for the engines. What model and year of car or truck ran these engines in the US?
2. I have one engine unable to reach full RPM, has same color and amount of exhaust smoke as 2nd engine (which runs well). I’ve replaced the fuel filter, cleaned fuel tank, checked fuel lines for restrictions, checked timing, checked turbo boost pressure, checked prop, checked outdrive for proper movement, checked oil level, I don’t know what to check or do next.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks
Ralph

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, you need to contact Mercruiser or Cummins Mercruiser diesel for parts

third, these engines did not come in any vehicle. they are a specific built marine motor. they do share many internal engine parts with the Isuzu industrial line, however the turbo, fuel system, cooling system, exhaust system, intake system etc. is all marine specific.

Check timing and have your injectors tested. Did you measure fuel restriction? air intake restriction? CAC restriction? if not, start there. you will most likely need to pay a marine diesel tech if you do not have the tools.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. These engines are found in cars over here in Europe…in Vauxhall and Opel small cars. The marine version has obviously some added parts.
Are you sure the turbo is ok ? That’s the usual culprit. Cylinder head issues are common too on these. They have a terrible reputation in boats, I’m afraid. You do get the odd one that lasts a while…but not often. Cam belts snap within their suggested service period too. So watch out for that. Make sure they’ve been changed recently. But in this case…if you’re sure the cylinder head and turbo are ok…it’s likely a fuel issue.