Cruiser Plumbing

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, one of my spring projects is to try and put the plumbing on my boat back to some sort of logical setup. The previous owner was unique in how he set it up.

Lovely things like, when i turn my boat pump on it squirts water out at my neighbours boat (or the kids) via the shore water connection.

Needless to say, i had one of the small belt driven water pumps that died at the end of the season. I'm going to redo it all and get rid of the crusty old hoses and put a real pump in place.

So...the boat facts:

hot water heater
Shore connection
Head sink
Galley sink

I'm thinking on using pex pipe and quick release fittings (open to thoughts here).
I also want an easy to winterize solution.
Naturally I don't want the neighbours boat washed when i disconnect the shore water and turn my pump on anymore.
I'm looking for recommendations on a decent pump (not an arm and leg model).

My thoughts on a plan:
Plumbing plan.jpg

Looking for feedback/suggestions as I have no idea what the plumbing originally looked like.

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cruiser Plumbing

View attachment 122660

This more what your talking about?
Is there a concern about putting shore pressure through the pump? If i can avoid having to switch a valve that would be ideal.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or set up something similar to an RV. There are 2 connections. One is for "city water" or shore connection. The second is for filling the fresh water tank. Then havehte shore connection teed in the line downstream of the pump. The pump and backflow stopper will keep water out of the holding tank.

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to be clear -

put my shore pressure downstream my pump and have a back flow stopper between the shore pressure connection and the pump to prevent it from backing up through the pump when on shore pressure?

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Typical setup is your fresh water pump/accumulator tank takes water from the water tank to provide water to your fixtures. This arrangement should have a back flow preventer (often built in to pump/accumulator) so that when on shore water, nothing flows back into the water tank.

Get a proper shore water valve. It reduces the pressure suitable for your boat's system, which cannot handle city water pressures.

Good luck...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm gonna say that your current system is correct except that the city water connection wasn't properly winterized and the check valve in it has frozen (happens to my rv about once every other year..... likely all you need is a new city water connection and will be gtg

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the replies on the schematic.

Any suggestions on a pump?

Shamfarlango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, appreciate all the feedback. Pump is on the Christmas list and I'll be able to make short work of the replumbing job not having to second guess if I thought it through right.