Crow Hunting

Anybody else have a serious problem with crows? There are SO many around my place that they look like a giant flock of starlings on steroids. Not only are they damn noisy (in an annoying way, not the cute birdy singing kinda way) but they make a helluva mess of things. Always finding garbage from somewhere and dropping it all over the place. I know I can't shoot them because I'm in city limits but what can we do to get rid of them? Any ideas? If one of them craps on me when I'm walking my dog before work in the morning you may find me on the 6 o'clock news with my Remmington. :mad:

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Crow Hunting

I don't know how to get rid of them, but if you find a way, pass it on. They are a nusiance. (sp?)

ehenry

Commander

A crow is a smart rascal. I had a problem with them in my vegetable garden. I too am in the city limits BUT far enough out so I shot one of them and left laying for all his buddies to see. One look at that dead crow laying there and the rest decided that it wasn't very healthy for them to hang around. I didn't have a crow problem for the rest of the summer.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

the crows at our place can pick up a coke can and drink out of it. (they really like Miller Lite).<br /><br />Wife and I were coming in on the boat and saw them on our picnic table drinking out of our cans

Carphunter

Commander

The crows around here are pretty wary. They scare fairly easy, (i'm not in the city limits either, so we can just shoot'em if they become a nuisance).<br /><br />Not real sure of a good way to spook 'em without discharging a shotgun. I will ask around.

Yes, we can shoot fireworks... it doesn't seem to bother them though. I bet they actually enjoyed the display on the 4th.<br /><br />Another thing, even if we were not in city limits its illegal to shoot a crow... they are protected. Unbelievable... but being a part of the "Raptor" family makes them protected. Even though there are about 200 that live in the tree stand near our house.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I catch 'em in a live animal trap. One made for cats. They'll pace back and forth for a couple of hours before I let 'em go. They leave in a hurry when I finally parole 'em, but the there's another to take it's place in a few days. It helps keep the numbers down...just a thought :D

ehenry

Commander

They may be protected in the state of Washington but they aren't protected here. There's even an open season on them from November 6th to Febrauary 28th with no bag limit. A flock of crows and destroy a pecan crop.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

luckily we have a large blue-jay pop. round MY<br />property... crows are scared 2 death of them :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I used to have serious problems with them raiding my pecan grove in the Fall. I tried the fake owl "scarecrow" but they mobbed it.<br /><br />I do EF Henry's thing now. Shoot one and leave it where they see it. Then, after the coyotes carry that one off, shoot another.<br /><br />They generally stay away from where a dead relative lies. Very smart birds. I wish the @#$%^& bluejays were that smart and I could drive them away by shooting just one. :(

gaugeguy

Captain

JB, coyotes actually ate your crow(s)?? We bait coyotes in the winter and have thrown in a few crows and the dogs won't touch them for some reason :confused: Maybe it is because there are too many other tasty morsels for them :confused:

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JB,<br /><br />Here in WI, people use Owl decoys as an attractant for hunting crows. Not sure who told you it would scare them away? Crows do hate owls, but not in a "run for the hills" kind of a way. More like a "let's show this SOB" kind of a way. I have had crows try to attack turkey decoys as well. <br /><br />At lunch today at a local park, there were literaly hundreds of crows flying arround. I could hear them plain as day in the truck with the windows up and radio playing. I thought I was in a Hitchcock movie for a second.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lundminnow,<br /><br />Do a web search on a company called Bird-X out of Chicago. They make several devices designed to help with your problem. Not sure on the prices, but it's worth a shot.

ndemge

Commander

Last week I was listening to NPR, and they had a piece about Crows.<br /><br />There was someone in NY that had been tracking and studing them for years. Said they mate for life, and stay with their families. West Nile has wiped out a HUGE percentage of them. Was actually an interesting piece, but I can still understand how they can be a huge pita

Thanks everyone. Got some good ideas here. The funnest ideas are ndemge's and efhenry's. Now if I can just shoot one w/o gettin' busted by the EPD.

oddjob

Commander

JB, coyotes actually ate your crow(s)?? We bait coyotes in the winter and have thrown in a few crows and the dogs won't touch them for some reason Maybe it is because there are too many other tasty morsels for them
My old man and BIL ate one that was screwing up their squirrel hunting. :) It was following them and alerting the squirrels whenever he aimed a shot. Told BIL finally that if it happened again they would be eating crow instead of squirrel that night. Said the the meat was dark red, very gamey, and very tough.. :eek: